The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 10:38 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default i hate stupid people.

well me the girlfriend and her dad went up the mountain today just riding around and went to a trout pond just to see how many were in the ponds.. they were packed! ive never fished a stocked pond before and never will but i really really hate to see people catch fish there...they just drag them up on the rocks let them flop around..really pisses me off..at least net it in the water and kill it quickly...and to think that people really think they are FISHING when they go there.. they are all hyped when they catch a fish screaming out how many they have caught.. i was pissed by the time i left the place...i just hate people who think there fishing and bad ass when there at a stocked pond..and the way the treat the fish ...but anyways thats my rant for the night.sorry i just had to get that off my chest.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 PM

khende is on a distinguished road
Default Re: i hate stupid people.

When I am in the Sierras and want a trout for dinner I will walrk into the steam and pick the fish up by it's back they are stocked and do not seem to spook. When I fish I always try to fish in steams and lakes that have not been stocked in decades. Wild native trout are a national resource and we need to protect all of the native wild streams, rivers and lakes.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Unfortunately, among other depressing things, it seems to be human nature to enjoy feeling superior to others.
Poke 'Em, mrfzx and wt bash like this.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

sad.. unfortuneatly I have no choice but to fish for trout in stocked creeks, this is no comparison toa small pond schooling trout.. but I have seen this behavior out of the non fly fishing crowd.. and have had many dead trout float by me for no reason other then the idiots rippign hooks out of the fish by the line..
Old 07-02-2012, 05:58 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Ponds like that one, at least here in Utah, are put and take ponds. The DWR plants them for the sole purpose of....catching and keeping.
It gets people out there fishing. One in 20 may get bitten by the bug and begin to fish regularly and maybe some become fly fishers.
Rip Tide and osok like this.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I hate that too....last year I was fishing a little stream I know which had been stocked with bows in the morning...seeing people killing fish by knocking them on rocks or tree trunks is not a pleasant sight
Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

as awful as it sounds at least it helps keep people away from holy water.
"Only fishing worth a damn is that little pond over there, no reason to go anywhere else"

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the people that shop at the local Wally World, but I had to buy socks and underwear this past weekend. Talk about WHALES!!!!

That's pretty much what one sees at the put and take ponds. The smallmouth began taking flies at the end of March this year (warm weather), so I didn't have to see the corn and Powerbait crowds this Spring. Some are better than others, but they all have that "canned" feeling. The quality of trout varies widely among these waters, and tails and fins have often been reduced to stubs from the hatcheries' concrete pools. There is a hatchery 50 miles from us, and they manage to raise some really healthy looking trout. They go into a fly fishing only stream, and it's also C&R. They keep them at the hatchery for two years, rather than one. That makes for some really large trout when they're released into the stream!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:38 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

If you hate stupid people then you are in for a long hate filled life. There are many more stupid ones that smart ones surrounding you. Tolerance is the name of the game. Just check my spelling.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:47 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

As I said in a previous (last week?), but similar thread: "Forgive them, for they no not what they do.".... Many of these people have decided to take-up fishing. They likely didn't have someone experienced and educated on what many of us consicder to be proper technique, equipment, and stream-side behavior. It takes a commitment of time to become the kind of fisherman that we are (or aspire to be). Many of these folks are newbies. It takes a commitment of funds to have the proper equipment to fish the way that we fish (or aspire to fish).

These folks can walk into a WalMart and spend $35 and walk out with a half-way decent open-face spinning set-up. Another $15 and they've got a styrofoam cup of worms and a 12-pack. Try to even FIND a fly rod or reel at WalMart.

I may be among the minority on this one, but I don't get angry. I feel sorry for them, and do what I can do to educate them on what it is that true fishermen do on the water.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky