The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 AM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Vise recommendations?

I am looking for a semi portable, reasonable but quality vise. I saw a Regal Travel vise online going for $175. Has anybody used these before, and if not do you more experienced fly tyerman have any recommendations for a good vise for a green but motivated beginner?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 AM

chris_n is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vise recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher View Post
I am looking for a semi portable, reasonable but quality vise. I saw a Regal Travel vise online going for $175. Has anybody used these before, and if not do you more experienced fly tyerman have any recommendations for a good vise for a green but motivated beginner?
Regal makes a great vise but if personally I would go with a Renzetti Traveler it is one of the best vises around.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM

I have never ordered a vise before, what does right/left tier mean to me?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Most all vises are "semi" portable. If you are looking for table top, many of the bases are heavy--something to consider. Not sure if that is of concern where you might be traveling. Airline traveling/backpack for on stream, etc vs vehicle and leaving at basecamp.

The Regal vise packs down pretty nicely and the base isn't as heavy as my Peak Rotary.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I have never ordered a vise before, what does right/left tier mean to me?
It means are you going to be tying with your left hand or your right hand. Typically you will be tying with the same hand that you right with.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_n View Post
Regal makes a great vise but if personally I would go with a Renzetti Traveler it is one of the best vises around.
I concur on the traveler. I own both the regal and the traveler and always reach for the traveler. Now my jaws on the regal are cracked. That is from launching the hook from the jaws from "improper" placement. I like vises that are not ruined 99% of the users improperly place hooks.

I was really hoping to get some vice recommendations on this thread though:.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dave, I splurged and spent a lot on a vise, having never used anything but an old Thompson. I got the Nor-vise, in large part becase I tie huge flies and it easily handles 7/0 hooks (and is easy and quick to adjust for different wire sizes). I want to start tying tube flies as well and the tube fly attachment takes only seconds to put on.

And also, in part, because I like the idea of spinning hackle into the thread so it becomes intertwined with it. The automatic bobbin is very cool too. To me, it just made sense.

Plus, the inventor has his parts made here, does the assembly himself, and is a very nice guy.

Cheezeanrice this sounds like an infomercial. Enough!

Guys tying little bitty flies probably wouldn't like it.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:24 PM

Seems like the Renzetti Travelere has been the consensus choice so far, there aren't any good fly shops around here, so I am going to have to rely on the expertise I find here. And from the looks of some of the fish you guys catch-I am in great company! I really do appreciate all the help, another question of mine-what would you guys recommend as far as tying materials? My true love is trout fishing small streams with dry flies and I plan on learning how to tye them (purchased fly tyer's bible). But it takes almost 4 hours+ to get to my favorite stream. So I will be mainly fishing for crappie, bluegill, and large mouth bass in ponds/lakes, and some smallies in some of the rivers around here

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Traveler* is what I meant to type
Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
I concur on the traveler. I own both the regal and the traveler and always reach for the traveler. Now my jaws on the regal are cracked. That is from launching the hook from the jaws from "improper" placement. I like vises that are not ruined 99% of the users improperly place hooks.

I was really hoping to get some vice recommendations on this thread though:.
Dave,

If you are like me I really like vises that are weighted properly, all metal, and have a smooth rotary turn. Renzetti has got it all but I have to say that my barracuda from Dyna King is the best vise I have had for a non travelling vise. I have the Renzetti master that I travel with and I love Renzetti for travelling but I am sad that my barracuda is to heavy to travel with because I love it, everything on the barracuda is steel and I mean everything, I will never buy anything other then Renzetti and Dyna.

P.S. I also own a norVise but I just can't get used to the jaws, it works great with a super smooth and fast rotary action but the jaws throw me off a little.

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Seems like the Renzetti Travelere has been the consensus choice so far, there aren't any good fly shops around here, so I am going to have to rely on the expertise I find here. And from the looks of some of the fish you guys catch-I am in great company! I really do appreciate all the help, another question of mine-what would you guys recommend as far as tying materials? My true love is trout fishing small streams with dry flies and I plan on learning how to tye them (purchased fly tyer's bible). But it takes almost 4 hours+ to get to my favorite stream. So I will be mainly fishing for crappie, bluegill, and large mouth bass in ponds/lakes, and some smallies in some of the rivers around here

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Traveler* is what I meant to type
You will accumulate materials over a lifetime, I swear I have enough materials to last me two lifetimes, so answering your question will be tough. The best this to do is look at a hatch chart for your area, seek out the pattern for those bugs and buy these specific materials. Then when you get near the end of summer look at the hatch chart again and start tying for the fall/winter. Then by next summer you will have all the materials needed to tie along with what is hatching.

Fly tying bible is a good starter book and should have all the main flies also YouTube is a great place a well to learn some patterns. Feather craft is a good site to buy materials from.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_n View Post
You will accumulate materials over a lifetime, I swear I have enough materials to last me two lifetimes, so answering your question will be tough. The best this to do is look at a hatch chart for your area, seek out the pattern for those bugs and buy these specific materials. Then when you get near the end of summer look at the hatch chart again and start tying for the fall/winter. Then by next summer you will have all the materials needed to tie along with what is hatching.

Fly tying bible is a good starter book and should have all the main flies also YouTube is a great place a well to learn some patterns. Feather craft is a good site to buy materials from.
Are there any other fly tying books you would recommend? I love reading about that kind of stuff and it gives me great ideas and aspirations of tying some of them someday.