The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bozeman MT from Iowa
Posts: 76
hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Vise recommendations?

I am looking for a semi portable, reasonable but quality vise. I saw a Regal Travel vise online going for $175. Has anybody used these before, and if not do you more experienced fly tyerman have any recommendations for a good vise for a green but motivated beginner?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 45
chris_n is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vise recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher View Post
I am looking for a semi portable, reasonable but quality vise. I saw a Regal Travel vise online going for $175. Has anybody used these before, and if not do you more experienced fly tyerman have any recommendations for a good vise for a green but motivated beginner?
Regal makes a great vise but if personally I would go with a Renzetti Traveler it is one of the best vises around.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bozeman MT from Iowa
Posts: 76
hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vise recommendations?

I have never ordered a vise before, what does right/left tier mean to me?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM
jaybo41's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: On a trout stream/Suburban Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,474
Blog Entries: 1
jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vise recommendations?

Most all vises are "semi" portable. If you are looking for table top, many of the bases are heavy--something to consider. Not sure if that is of concern where you might be traveling. Airline traveling/backpack for on stream, etc vs vehicle and leaving at basecamp.

The Regal vise packs down pretty nicely and the base isn't as heavy as my Peak Rotary.
__________________
~*~Leave only your footprints~*~
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 45
chris_n is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vise recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher View Post
I have never ordered a vise before, what does right/left tier mean to me?
It means are you going to be tying with your left hand or your right hand. Typically you will be tying with the same hand that you right with.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Meridian, ID
Posts: 162
utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Vise recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_n View Post
Regal makes a great vise but if personally I would go with a Renzetti Traveler it is one of the best vises around.
I concur on the traveler. I own both the regal and the traveler and always reach for the traveler. Now my jaws on the regal are cracked. That is from launching the hook from the jaws from "improper" placement. I like vises that are not ruined 99% of the users improperly place hooks.

I was really hoping to get some vice recommendations on this thread though:.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 PM
wjc wjc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: south florida
Posts: 1,437
wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vise recommendations?

Dave, I splurged and spent a lot on a vise, having never used anything but an old Thompson. I got the Nor-vise, in large part becase I tie huge flies and it easily handles 7/0 hooks (and is easy and quick to adjust for different wire sizes). I want to start tying tube flies as well and the tube fly attachment takes only seconds to put on.

And also, in part, because I like the idea of spinning hackle into the thread so it becomes intertwined with it. The automatic bobbin is very cool too. To me, it just made sense.

Plus, the inventor has his parts made here, does the assembly himself, and is a very nice guy.

Cheezeanrice this sounds like an infomercial. Enough!

Guys tying little bitty flies probably wouldn't like it.
__________________
http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bozeman MT from Iowa
Posts: 76
hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vise recommendations?

Seems like the Renzetti Travelere has been the consensus choice so far, there aren't any good fly shops around here, so I am going to have to rely on the expertise I find here. And from the looks of some of the fish you guys catch-I am in great company! I really do appreciate all the help, another question of mine-what would you guys recommend as far as tying materials? My true love is trout fishing small streams with dry flies and I plan on learning how to tye them (purchased fly tyer's bible). But it takes almost 4 hours+ to get to my favorite stream. So I will be mainly fishing for crappie, bluegill, and large mouth bass in ponds/lakes, and some smallies in some of the rivers around here

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Traveler* is what I meant to type
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 45
chris_n is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vise recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
I concur on the traveler. I own both the regal and the traveler and always reach for the traveler. Now my jaws on the regal are cracked. That is from launching the hook from the jaws from "improper" placement. I like vises that are not ruined 99% of the users improperly place hooks.

I was really hoping to get some vice recommendations on this thread though:.
Dave,

If you are like me I really like vises that are weighted properly, all metal, and have a smooth rotary turn. Renzetti has got it all but I have to say that my barracuda from Dyna King is the best vise I have had for a non travelling vise. I have the Renzetti master that I travel with and I love Renzetti for travelling but I am sad that my barracuda is to heavy to travel with because I love it, everything on the barracuda is steel and I mean everything, I will never buy anything other then Renzetti and Dyna.

P.S. I also own a norVise but I just can't get used to the jaws, it works great with a super smooth and fast rotary action but the jaws throw me off a little.

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher View Post
Seems like the Renzetti Travelere has been the consensus choice so far, there aren't any good fly shops around here, so I am going to have to rely on the expertise I find here. And from the looks of some of the fish you guys catch-I am in great company! I really do appreciate all the help, another question of mine-what would you guys recommend as far as tying materials? My true love is trout fishing small streams with dry flies and I plan on learning how to tye them (purchased fly tyer's bible). But it takes almost 4 hours+ to get to my favorite stream. So I will be mainly fishing for crappie, bluegill, and large mouth bass in ponds/lakes, and some smallies in some of the rivers around here

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Traveler* is what I meant to type
You will accumulate materials over a lifetime, I swear I have enough materials to last me two lifetimes, so answering your question will be tough. The best this to do is look at a hatch chart for your area, seek out the pattern for those bugs and buy these specific materials. Then when you get near the end of summer look at the hatch chart again and start tying for the fall/winter. Then by next summer you will have all the materials needed to tie along with what is hatching.

Fly tying bible is a good starter book and should have all the main flies also YouTube is a great place a well to learn some patterns. Feather craft is a good site to buy materials from.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bozeman MT from Iowa
Posts: 76
hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vise recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_n View Post
You will accumulate materials over a lifetime, I swear I have enough materials to last me two lifetimes, so answering your question will be tough. The best this to do is look at a hatch chart for your area, seek out the pattern for those bugs and buy these specific materials. Then when you get near the end of summer look at the hatch chart again and start tying for the fall/winter. Then by next summer you will have all the materials needed to tie along with what is hatching.

Fly tying bible is a good starter book and should have all the main flies also YouTube is a great place a well to learn some patterns. Feather craft is a good site to buy materials from.
Are there any other fly tying books you would recommend? I love reading about that kind of stuff and it gives me great ideas and aspirations of tying some of them someday.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WY and CO recommendations Tracker12 Coldwater Fly Fishing 3 09-05-2010 08:53 AM
7.5' 3wt Recommendations txbevo General Discussion 17 06-30-2010 11:25 PM
Rod Recommendations fish_gypsy Saltwater Fly Fishing 12 01-15-2010 08:06 AM
Rod Recommendations scottiecoach Fly Rods 3 02-10-2008 03:08 PM
Rod recommendations for an 8 year old willisjj General Discussion 3 06-29-2005 07:27 AM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.