The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 10:18 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: why cant i cast far!!!!

i hear ya. I dont spin cast much anymore, I did do some while ona friends boat last week. and I alway kept picking the fly rod up, my friend was like you and that flyrod.. by the end of the trip I was getting ok casts over my non casting side, trying not to hook my freind with streamers... just need to do it more . I keep telling myself Ive only been doing this a year but it doesnt seem like it when im casting around folks that have alot more experiance then me in ff. lots of learning to do yet. I would suggest the basspro cv2 line, the stuff is cheap and its hard to not cast good.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

Every new caster has trouble with timing. I don't know if this is your problem or not, but the timing problem I'm talking about will cause a cast to break down at 20-30'.

During a cast, your fly line can only travel one direction at a time. The loop in the back cast must straighten out before the forward cast can begin, and the loop in the forward cast must straighten out before you can send the line backward again.

As you get more line outside the tip top, your loops have a longer distance to travel before the line can go straight. It takes more time for a loop to travel down the length of a longer line. Most new casters get into a certain rhythm, and they keep their arm moving back and forth in that same rhythm as they try to lengthen their cast. Once you get to the point that your line doesn't have time to straighten out in your casting stroke, you have two loops trying to go opposite directions, and the line falls.

You can have perfect form, but poor timing can still kill a cast. You have to learn to feel the slight little tug that happens when the loop straightens out. Don't change directions in your casting stroke until you feel that little tug. It's not like playing music. You aren't supposed to keep a steady rhythm. Your casting rhythm will vary, depending upon the amount of line you have in the air.

If you can learn to add a little haul at the instant that you feel that little tug and switch direction with the rod, then you'll add a little more line speed and distance.

I may have just told you nothing that you didn't already know. If so, I apologize. Maybe it will help a little though. Good luck with it. Post a video if you can, and maybe somebody could pick up on something more specific to your situation.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

^ right on about hauling,, I know once I started my distance improved instantly.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshane View Post
Every new caster has trouble with timing. I don't know if this is your problem or not, but the timing problem I'm talking about will cause a cast to break down at 20-30'.

During a cast, your fly line can only travel one direction at a time. The loop in the back cast must straighten out before the forward cast can begin, and the loop in the forward cast must straighten out before you can send the line backward again.

As you get more line outside the tip top, your loops have a longer distance to travel before the line can go straight. It takes more time for a loop to travel down the length of a longer line. Most new casters get into a certain rhythm, and they keep their arm moving back and forth in that same rhythm as they try to lengthen their cast. Once you get to the point that your line doesn't have time to straighten out in your casting stroke, you have two loops trying to go opposite directions, and the line falls.

You can have perfect form, but poor timing can still kill a cast. You have to learn to feel the slight little tug that happens when the loop straightens out. Don't change directions in your casting stroke until you feel that little tug. It's not like playing music. You aren't supposed to keep a steady rhythm. Your casting rhythm will vary, depending upon the amount of line you have in the air.

If you can learn to add a little haul at the instant that you feel that little tug and switch direction with the rod, then you'll add a little more line speed and distance.

I may have just told you nothing that you didn't already know. If so, I apologize. Maybe it will help a little though. Good luck with it. Post a video if you can, and maybe somebody could pick up on something more specific to your situation.
seriously that is my problem im 95% sure. this makes total sense and i keep a stedy rythem no matte rhow much line i have out. dang to bad its dark now haha i would be outside! seriously thank you man i really think this is my problem and the line dose "break" about 20 feet out even less sometimes.
mbphotos54 likes this.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

When you learn to feel the tug of the loop straightening out, you can cast in the dark just as easily as the daylight.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

hahaha i will for sure feel for it tomorrow! i also think today i was using too big of a fly for my 5wt rod.. i need to get a 8wt rod for bass fishing i guess... poppers and the other flys i was using are to heavy i think
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

All good suggestions that will help your cast. Something not mentioned are the stops. It is very hard to make the line go without a firm, positive stop.
One of the main problems I see with beginning fly casters is that they don't really stop the cast until the rod tip almost hits the ground or straightens out in fromt of them. Doing that they usually rip the loop open and any energy that would otherwise drive the line forward (or backwards) is just going in a large, energy wasting circle.
I dislike using the hands on the clock to describe where to stop because as you progress these numbers will be all over the place but to give you an idea as a novice, try stopping the rod firmly at 1-2:00 on your forward cast and 10-11:00 on the back cast.
I hope this helps.

PS... I'm in NC too but near Charlotte. I won't be traveling in your area any time soon but if you find yourself heading towards Charlotte give me a PM, I would be happy to work with you on your cast.
redyote likes this.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
All good suggestions that will help your cast. Something not mentioned are the stops. It is very hard to make the line go without a firm, positive stop.
One of the main problems I see with beginning fly casters is that they don't really stop the cast until the rod tip almost hits the ground or straightens out in fromt of them. Doing that they usually rip the loop open and any energy that would otherwise drive the line forward (or backwards) is just going in a large, energy wasting circle.
I dislike using the hands on the clock to describe where to stop because as you progress these numbers will be all over the place but to give you an idea as a novice, try stopping the rod firmly at 1-2:00 on your forward cast and 10-11:00 on the back cast.
I hope this helps.

PS... I'm in NC too but near Charlotte. I won't be traveling in your area any time soon but if you find yourself heading towards Charlotte give me a PM, I would be happy to work with you on your cast.
im only about an hour out of charlotte if you wanna meet up one day ( ill come down there ) and if you know a fishing spot we can go to id love to get some advice ill take all the schooling i can get and would really appreciate it
Old 07-03-2012, 06:44 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Something not mentioned are the stops. It is very hard to make the line go without a firm, positive stop.
That's what I was trying to say.
Quote:
When I need more distance I sometimes find myself trying to force the rod and I fail to come (speed up) to a positive stop on the forward cast and that takes away from the rod's energy being transferred to the line.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamwalker View Post
im only about an hour out of charlotte if you wanna meet up one day ( ill come down there ) and if you know a fishing spot we can go to id love to get some advice ill take all the schooling i can get and would really appreciate it
I can't do much of anything until July 19. Doctors oreders.
After that I'm wide open. Prior to that I can surely look at your cast and suggest some tweaks, I just can't swing a fly rod.
You tell me which days work for you and we'll make it happen.

Wabi... sorry. I guess your post didn't register or something. Didn't mean to step on your toes.