The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default why cant i cast far!!!!

it seems 2 months ago i could cast father than i can now.. i can only cast 20 feet max! and after that my line just dosnt shoot out.. i watch my forum closely and have watched many videos and i dont see a problem with it..i want to be able to cast 60 feet with only 2 back casts like i see a lot of people do..WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? or should i get new line? this line is a year old that i have on now and looks dirty and rough
Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why cant i cast far!!!!

Clean the line and put some line dressing on it.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

It is a default response.. but It will be hard to diagnose on a forum.

The one thing I want to say is that (unless you have cash burning a hole) you don't need a new line. I'd try cleaning (and possibly coating) the one you have before laying down the cash for a new one after just a year.... All of this is presuming that you have a quality line to begin with. A dirty line will not shoot as nice as a clean line-- but I've never seen a dirty line not shoot at all....

Also-- about that 60 foot cast.... That's an awfully hard hook set with a fly rod and fly line. There are plenty of fish within the 30 foot cast that you can make.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
It is a default response.. but It will be hard to diagnose on a forum.

The one thing I want to say is that (unless you have cash burning a hole) you don't need a new line. I'd try cleaning (and possibly coating) the one you have before laying down the cash for a new one after just a year.... All of this is presuming that you have a quality line to begin with. A dirty line will not shoot as nice as a clean line-- but I've never seen a dirty line not shoot at all....

Also-- about that 60 foot cast.... That's an awfully hard hook set with a fly rod and fly line. There are plenty of fish within the 30 foot cast that you can make.
i wil ltry cleaning the line.. but like i said it dosnt even wanna cast 30 feet.. idk maybe its jsut me.. but there are times on a river where i want to cast above a hole and let it carrie down into the hole but i cant cast far enough to get past it.. its just frustrating! i guess practice practice practice haha..
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

It's impossible to say without seeing you, but I'd say there's about a 90% chance you need to slooooooooooow dowwwwwwwwwwwn your casting stroke.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

You should be able to aerialize far more than 20' of line, so your line not shooting well isn't the problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

When I need more distance I sometimes find myself trying to force the rod and I fail to come (speed up) to a positive stop on the forward cast and that takes away from the rod's energy being transferred to the line. The rod has stored energy, so let it do the work.
Cleaning the line never hurts, but I doubt it's the line causing ALL your problem.

BTW - what length & weight is the rod, and what line are you using?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 PM

yea i did find myself speeding up my cast today to try to work the line out farther. and im using a 8'6 rod 5wt with 5wt fw line idk what make of line it was given to me by my old principal/ fly fisher who helped me get started
Old 07-02-2012, 10:01 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

clean and prep line and rod guides. I had similer thing happen after fishing a muck pond. what I first started ff last year, posting videos here for critique helped alot, once it clicks, it clicks and you dont even think about it thats when its great. Itll come back.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:13 PM

yea i really cant wait till i can master this..because u bet i will be fly fishing every thing i have ever spinner fished haha..
Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to check for when you find your casts are not as crisp is to check for a loose ferrule. That can shorten your casts; but even worse, it can lead to a broken rod.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy