The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Another new rod arrived today

I tried a friends TFO Lefty Kreh Signature 7'6" 3wt not long ago and had to come home and order one for myself.

UPS pulled up today and came down the walk with a 4' triangular box. The driver came up on my porch where I was sitting and asked, "What's in the box?"
I told him, "A fly rod."

He looked worried, and showed me the box had 2 sides torn completely across and was creased on the remaining side where it had flexed!
He was nice enough to tell me I'd better open it and inspect the rod before I accept it.

A miracle! The rod was totally undamaged!
I'm not sure who was more relieved - me or the driver.

Of course I quickly put a reel spooled with a wf3f line on it and made a few casts on the lawn. The rod did fine lawn casting.
Had an evening job scheduled (I'm a self-employed plumber), so I put the rod up until I could get the job done (didn't waste any time, the customer got his money's worth on this repair) and got to the local lake with an hour to fish before dark.

Managed to catch several bluegills and test the rod with a fish on the end of the line. Nothing big, but a few in the 7-8" range.

I was able to get out a fairly good cast with the rod with relative ease. This little rod really fits my casting stroke. I can easily cast with 30' or so of line out and shoot another 8-10' feet of line on the forward cast with it. Roll casts of 30' or so were looking good, too.

Even managed to hook one huge pine tree on a back cast.

I think this rod will see a lot of use in the next few weeks. This hot weather has the bluegills going after dries as the sun sets in the evening, and I can't think of a better way to end the day.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another new rod arrived today

Mike: Congrats, on the new fly rod! Nothing like a new fly rod showing up on the front porch to get the juices flowing to hit the water.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:01 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I know exactly how you feel have just received one from the brown truck myself. Enjoy your new equipment and tight lines.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:16 AM

steve_eth is on a distinguished road

I got one the traditional way, driving to the store.

Picked it up last Wednesday and put on a Ebay special, Pfleuger Trump. I spooled it with WF4 line and took it to the creek.

I agree.

It is a GREAT ROD.

My only comparison is my Cabelas 6wt 8'6 rod but after a few days I was able to cast all the same flys, heavier flys as well with it. Having the shorter rod and lite line was really the ticket I guess for how I cast. Im having a blast with it and am looking for a better reel to pair it with.

This is the biggest Ive caught with it however. Got my eye on some smallies though..
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Took it to the lake again this evening.
Perfect evening - no wind and bluegills feeding on the surface.
Tied on a cooper bug and landed several 'gills.

Was getting the line (wf3f) out to a pretty good distance with no problems.
Bet my son the fly was landing 50' out and he didn't think so. I let a backcast drop to the ground and we measured it. From my feet to the fly - 57' .
I could probably get a bit more distance if I added a double haul, but that's plenty of line out for where I was fishing.

I think I've found a 3wt that fits my casting style!