The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 05:53 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default another new rod

well the other day i went and picked up some flies for bass.. i didn't think anything about it and tied one of the large meaty flies onto my 5wt rod..well yea...i had a frustrating time casting and completely messed me up thought i lost how to cast a fly rod...so i put a smaller fly on this morning and am casting great again. i never new that i would be limited on the fly by having a 5wt rod and most of my fishing that i enjoy is lake fishing and pond fishing on a kayak. and most of that is bass.. so it looks like i need to invest into a 8wt rod i should have a good amount of money to spend on one once i sell my truck and buy a smaller one. ( really dont need a diesel ) so what are the recommendations on a 8wt fly rod and a 8wt reel?this combo will also be used for when i go to the beach and do some shore fishing! thanks yall

what do yall think about the sage bass II? only problem im having with it is it dosnt come in a size 8 and i wouldnt know to get the 290 grain or 330 grain rod.

Last edited by streamwalker; 07-03-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Re: another new rod

I like my 8 wt. TFO BVK with Konic reel. Be sure you get a reel designed for saltwater if going to the beach. Have friends using the BVK and all are happy with the rods.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:42 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Sage Bass 2 rods are great rods for precision close in fishing. I would not use it for anything over fifty feet. Accuracy past that distance is horrible.

You should be looking at nine foot rods. I will let others chimb in for suggestions. Also you can use the search button for research on eight weights.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 07-03-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Gosh darn iPhone key pad.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:47 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

i will check out the BVK and thank you mosca i was wondering about the 7 foot length on the sage rod.. it was also at the very top of my price point which i didn't really like.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

What is your price range? for around $500 the BVK/Konic/Rio OBS is pretty hard to beat for open water situations. The only down side to the BVK is it lacks in lifting power, So I'd suggest the TICRX if your going to be fishing alot of heavy weeds, mats, thick tulle's, or realy woody areas. I have a few BVK's for back up rods to my Scott S4 rods and actually like fishing the BVK's as much as my Scott's.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:11 PM

i will be fishing heavy weeds and wooded areas so i think i need to go more towards the route you suggested but i will also be on open water a lot too where theres not a lot of weeds..

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

can i still use the tiCr x fly rod on fresh water even though it says saltwater specific?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 PM

what do yall think about the orvis acces big game rod? compared to the TFO? also then looking the TFO rods i notice there is a ticr rod and a ticr x rod dose anyone know the difference on these rods?

Last edited by streamwalker; 07-04-2012 at 11:41 PM.