The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By mrfzx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default 5 days in Louisiana

From June 10 to June 15 my father-in-law, Jim, and I spent on the marshes between Chauvin and Cocodrie, Louisiana. We were going flyfishing with captain Blaine Townsend out of Sportsman's Paradise. Prior to embarking through correspondence with Blaine we learned that there were plenty of fish, but that the weather was very unpredictable, and uncharacteristically disrupted for June. He could not have been more prophetic if we was an old gypsy woman in front of a crystal ball. We arrived late Sunday evening because we took a bump in Houston in exchange for a $500 dollar voucher and lunch. We arrived to the same very comfortable accomodations that we knew from the previous year.

Monday morning we entered the small restaurant that Blaine's wife Connie runs for breakfast, our arms full rof rods reels. We were greeted by hearty handshakes from Blaine, and warm hugs from Connie. Blaine explained that the wind which we already knew was blowing was a bit stiff at a sustained 15mph, and gusts to 25 mph. But knowing that the marshes we were going to fish only averaged 12 to 18 inches deep, it would still be fishable.....even if casting was a bit tricky. I love sunrises, and the sunrises over the marsh are beautiful.

Click the image to open in full size.

Blaine is a dedicated flyfishing guide with 30+ years of poling a boat. He is an expert at positioning the boat at just the correct angle to allow us to cast. We managed catch some fish but it was difficult. Blaine must have shoulders of braided steel to pole the boat in that wind and heat! Even so, the fish were there, and here is a nice 12 pounder that put a very satisfying bend in my Helios 8wt.

Tuesday was much the same as Monday, and we concentrated on old duck blinds to find the fish. But we still managed to bend the rods a bit. Jim was using a new Loomis NRX 7wt.

But as what was to be the norm, by noon a thunder storm blew in, and made us run for home.

Wednesday was to see a bit of a break in the wind. The water became glassy smooth by 9Am, and we began to spot fish in droves.

Thursday.....Lordy, Thursday. Some days will forever be blazened in my mind. The wind virtually died, the sun was high and bright in the cloudless sky, and there seemed to be fish sprouting everywhere. I am not exagerating when I say we saw 2000-3000 fish that morning! Everywhere we looked there seemed to be a pods of 100, 200, even 300 fish. Their tails waving to beckon us to come play. And play we did! By noon I had 25 fish landed. The first cast of the morning would set the tone. As we powered up to Hunter's Pond, and Blaine began to pole us out of the channel, I no more than climbed onto the casting deck when we spotted a lone tailing fish about 60 yards away. Now, I am not ashamed to admit that I get excited. If I didn't I don't think I would fish anymore. When we were about 60 feet away from the feeding fish, I began to put line in the air. At about 45 feet I laid the spoonfly about a foot in front of the fish (yeah, surprised me too). Strip, strip, strip. A v-wake charge, and Wham! I am into a good one. It would prove to be the big fish of the trip. It took me into my backing twice, but I brought it to the Boga Grip where it weighed an even 14 pounds. A very good June fish.

Friday started to our very great delight much as Thursday had. Glassy smooth water and a windless, cloudless sky. Our delight was short lived as by 9Am the wind had begun to blow pretty stiffly. We still caught fish, and we got to fish a bit longer, but at 130 wee had to run for cover again.

All in all, a great trip. I ended with some amazing memories, and 67 landed fish in 5 days, many in the 9 to 12 pound class. Of course the 14 pounder was awesome. Jim ended with a lot of fish too (although I caught more!)
Rip Tide, stl_geoff and williamhj like this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 days in Louisiana

Homer: Congrats on a great trip and thanks for sharing the trip report!

Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Sweet
Old 07-05-2012, 01:01 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Everything about this post is exactly why I want to go to LA for those fish. Glad you had a great trip, hopefully I'll stick my first red next spring

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Very nice!

There's some rather unorthodox stuff on his boat, but if it works, why not?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Very nice!

There's some rather unorthodox stuff on his boat, but if it works, why not?
Yep....but probably the most unorthodox was the fishermen!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the great report. Wished I was there.

I have never seen a chair on the poling platform but this old fat man likes the idea.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 PM

My father-in-law has serious arthritis in his feet, and can't balance well. So Blaine has a small step-ladder with a pad on top that he chains down on the platform with a ratchet-strap. It allows Jim to lean on it while he casts. Unorthodox.....I suppose so, but Blaine is used to guiding older folks (including Lefty), and many have some balance issues. Ingenuity is the mother of invention.....right?