The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default The unexpected

I am so excited I thought I would have to share with all of you. My wife and I hauled the travel trailer up in to the Rockies for the 4th. We have 3 dogs who hate fireworks so we go every 4th. Anyway I made reservations at a spot I hadn't been to in 6 years. All I remembered was there was a reservoir and a real small stream / creek. I know this stream when it joins other streams becomes a river and they catch some hogs out of it 10 miles or more downstream from where we were. So I packed up the 1wt rod and headed out. Being this stream is maybe 5' wide and 12" deep on average I figured I would be catching 6" brookies. Well the first corner I fished I hauled out a few brookies and then a 13" rainbow....wow didn't know this creek held that size of fish. Next day I was wandering and though heck lets throw a dry in a beaver pond on this creek.

This little friend made quite a nice pool for me
Click the image to open in full size.

I proceeded to be surprised by catching this little guy (approx 14")

A few 9" Brookies later this guy decided to grace me with a battle royal. He really like to put on an aerial show. He measured out right at 17" and as you can see he was well fed. This was a memory of a lifetime to hook this moose on a 1wt with 6x tippet on a dry.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The unexpected

Comeonavs: Looks like you have found a real jewel of a fishing spot, keep that well guarded. Congrats on the beautiful trout!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:21 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

It is amazing the places a travel trailer will take you. Sounds like you have a good fishing trip and I agree, protect those spots with your life. I can't imagine catching a trout like that on a 1 wt. Congratulations.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It sounds like you've found a new favorite spot, nice report.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-07-2012, 05:31 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

That must have been an awesome fight on the 1wt! Makes me really want to get out my 2wt and head up some mountain freestones.