The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 11:33 AM

g22insc is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis chest pack help

I am looking into picking up a Orvis Safe Passage Chest pack but I can't get a handle on the size. I don't know if I want the Micro (blue color) or regular (red color) size. I don't have any local Orvis stores to check them out in person so I am left with internet searches and research; however, I can't find any pics that show the size. Does anyone have any pics of the either pack on an actual person to get a better idea of the true size?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Orvis chest pack help

Have you looked at the Orvis Sling? Me likey lots. Fly Fishing Packs / Safe PassageŽ Sling Pack -- Orvis
If your're in Upstate SC, maybe take a field trip to the well stocked Orvis corporate store in Charlotte to look at the stuff.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Have you looked at the Orvis Sling? Me likey lots. Fly Fishing Packs / Safe PassageŽ Sling Pack -- Orvis
If your're in Upstate SC, maybe take a field trip to the well stocked Orvis corporate store in Charlotte to look at the stuff.
+1 for the Orvis Sling, it is one sweet fly fishing gear storage device.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have the Orvis but I just switched a sling pack as well and really like it. Beats hell out of the chest pack.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:13 PM

g22insc is on a distinguished road

I was originally looking at the Orvis sling pack and then discovered they had redesigned it when compared to the latest catalog I have. I'm just not sure about the current sling pack. I normally wear a Camelbak and would attach the chest pack to the Camelbak straps. I don't normally carry much and just really need somewhere to conceal (legally) a small J-frame for snake protection with the kids. Don't want to have to adjust packs to reach it quick if I need to. It would be right in front in arms reach with the chest pack. What do you'll think?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you are already wearing camelbak to carry extras I personally would go with the small chest pack. I have clipped different styles of accessory packs to the shoulder straps on a camelbak and day pack ... I've tried a few combos and didn't find one that I liked. But I also did not try a nice small, one box sized chest pack. I think that would work nicely. My personal preference.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

+2 for the Orvis Sling.

If you are seriously considering it, you may want to also check out the Patagonia Atom pack.