The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:56 PM

dogger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Waders

I have narrowed it down to Cabela's G-II dry-plus or the Orvis Endura waders.

I think they are pretty close for price, however I have plenty of gift cards at Cabela's -it's 5 minutes away.

Thanks all!

Dog
Old 12-30-2007, 06:27 PM

ckalanik is on a distinguished road

Felt v. Rubber sole. If you care about the future of the steams you fish it would be best to use rubber soled boots because felt soles can easily transport organisms from one stream to another which can offset the ecosystem.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:21 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalanik View Post
Felt v. Rubber sole. If you care about the future of the steams you fish it would be best to use rubber soled boots because felt soles can easily transport organisms from one stream to another which can offset the ecosystem.
It's terrific to see the younger generation concerned about these important matters (maybe I should get my daughter fly-fishing?).

You raise an excellent point, ckalanik. The more knowledgeable/dedicated fly-fisherman will dunk their boot soles in a sterilizing solution (see related threads in other Forums) to keep from transmitting Whirling Disease, etc. - especially important with felt soles.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:31 PM

I guess it is no different that moving a boat from lake to lake, need to clean up so you don't transmit critters from lake to lake.

Thanks for the tidbit!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:42 PM

back to the rubber verses felt discussion..............

What is the deal with each, felt is better for mossy/slippery rock covered bottoms where a slipping might happen and the rubber cleated bottoms are better for muddy bottoms.

Or am I all wet? Any insight would be great.

What do you prefer?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I find that felt bottoms work best on bare or mildly mossy/algal rocks, but if there's a good slime coating on them you're better off with studs. The studs will penetrate the muck and stay put on the rock a little better.

I still think a sole like Patagucci's Beefy Wading Shoe was the best of both worlds. I'm trying to make mine last as long as possible. http://shop.nfisk.no/images/pata_beefy_w.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

two things I always asked customers buying new waders. One, SQWAT! if you can do that comfortably, you can climb down steep water ledges and climb over downed trees.
Two, can you wiggle your toes. Always try boots on with your waders and heavy socks, that is the only way to find a good fit. Most boots state that they make allowance for waders, but I have not found that to be true. Also, laces are nice for ankle support unlike the booted waders.
Soles, I prefer the Aqua Stealth with sheet metal screws added for extra grab, plus felt is nice, but there is the cleaning thing along with snow sticks to them bad, making it hard to walk in the snow.
Most of the fishing I do, Hippers are enough, but if I only could afford one choice it would be chest, because they do fold down to waist in the summer, plus they do keep you dryer and warmer on wet days.
Hodgemens, unless they have improved 99%, they are not worth it in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Joni's throwing great advice out there on fit. When buying boots and waders, you don't even want a sug fit in the foot, as this impedes blood flow, leading to cold feet.

For example, my current boots I wear with waders are size 14. The Justin's I'm wearing right now are 11's. Folks with wide feet are ESPECIALLY better off going up a size or even 2 when buying boots.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 AM

mattwells is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
For example, my current boots I wear with waders are size 14. The Justin's I'm wearing right now are 11's. Folks with wide feet are ESPECIALLY better off going up a size or even 2 when buying boots.
Does anyone make a wide wader boot? I am trying to find a pair of cheap waders and am having trouble sizing (tall, skinny and a 12 EEEE foot). Will the stockingfoot waders typically 'give' enough to fit a wide foot?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

You'll probably want to buy a boot described as being extra wide/roomy and bump up to a 13 or 14.

The neoprene will stretch to accomodate your foot width, and shouldn't constrict cirulation too much. But you're still going to be best off by far buying a boot and wader combination that you can try on TOGETHER first.