The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 02:42 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Your Equipment care ??

Good Day & Merry Christmas to All,

After a day of fishing your favorite river do you tend
to clean your equipment that same day, or just clean
when you get around to that job ?

Do you feel that your fly line, for instance, works better
if you clean it regularly ?

If you do clean your line after use do you clean the line
all the way back to the backing, or just guess as to which
part was in the water & clean that section only ?

If your Father taught you like mine taught me I always
clean my stuff after each use. Sometimes I am amazed as
to how much clings to the line after a day in the river.

Any thoughts ?

Tie One On
Old 12-26-2007, 03:35 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Your Equipment care ??

since i fish around 350 days a year, give or take a few...I tend to clean my lines often, not everyday but once a week I'll wipe them down..I usally use between 1 and 6 rods in a weeks time..depending on the situation..as for reels and rods once or twice a year I'll clean them and lube them..

My saltwater stuff would get cleaned everyday, no matter..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-26-2007, 09:07 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

T.O.O,

I clean my line after every use, down to the backing and usualy rinse the backing with fresh water to remove the salt deposits and residue. my rod and reel gets rinsed and dried after each outing. I usualy try to oil me reel after each use but sometimes it dosnt happen everytime.

I had the same father, whether it was a day in the field hunting or a day on the water rods, reels, and guns got a thorough cleaning.

I guess if you want to pass something along to you children you need to take really good care of it.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:48 PM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road

We generally wash boots, waders and line everyday and sometimes midday if we are changing rivers or water mostly due to aquatic hitchhikers such as New Zealand mud snails and WD spores, we use Formula 409. Rods get wiped down daily and reels rinsed with water after each trip.
Wyatt
Old 12-26-2007, 11:16 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

In Colorado we have to watch out for Whirling Disease and New Zealand Mud snails, so all my stuff gets cleaned after everyuse. I use a solution from a local fly shop on my waders and hand rinse my rods and reels.

Randy
Old 12-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I probably do about exactly the same regimen as sandfly, only I don't get to fish nearly as often so its no where near a weekly ocurrence.

And yes, gear that touches salt must be rinsed that day. I'll usually even soak the reel in freshwater twice before blasting it again with fresh water to get all the salt out.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:52 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

One thing I found a few years back was salt-x, in the boat stores, they use it on everything to get rid of salt...I tried it on a lamson reel and never rinsed it for 6 weeks. no corrosion....I use it on any thing tahts been in the salt..alot of you guys on the coast should check it out..I even used it on my van..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg highwater.jpg (21.2 KB, 3 views)
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-29-2007, 10:52 AM

MtnGrouseHtr is on a distinguished road

One thing I like to do is pull all the line out from my reel and let my 6 year old son reel while I hold a wet rag around the line to clean it off. Then we pull it back off and re-do with fly line conditioner. He gets a big kick out of it.