The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default sights to see E Sierra...a little help?

ok...so I'm not usually asking for help with E Sierra stuff, but this is a little different...I'll have non-fishers with me for a few days near Bridgeport. I'd like to share the coolest stuff in the area and this is what I have so far. Don't want to go much south of Mammoth or north of Topaz.

1. Yosemite - in thru the E gate and visit Tuolumne Meadows
2. Bodie - I'd like to drive them up to Dynamo Pond too, cuz it's cool
3. BPort museum (closed Sun-Mon)
4. Mammoth Lakes for lunch and giggles
4a The view of the back side of Minarets, looking down on the SJ river
4b Devil's Postpile
4c Hot creek visitor info stuff
5. Walker Burger
6. Va Creek Settlement for dinner
7. Mono Lake and visitor center

I know there's a ton of cool stuff I'm missing, but I'm just a frigging fisherman, not a tour guide. If you've got any suggestions that don't involve hiking much more than you do to see Devil's Postpile, I'd sure be interested...my buddy has a bum hip, so real hikes are out of the question (sadly).

Thanks for any suggestions! -Mike
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: sights to see E Sierra...a little help?

What's your definition of 'a few days'...? Even with the time zone change, your few days can't be much different than my few days.....

I'd say the list of 9 places, events, things to see/do that you have up is plenty. I have friends all over-- the last thing I want to do when I visit is arrive to an itinerary.... Let some spontaneity happen.

Depending on how good of old friends they are, I'd be sure to fit some 'hanging, catching up, drinking beer' time in there as well-- show them a few cool spots-- let them spend time with said spots, and the rest of the time with you.

Just my .02

//Edit// to keep it topical-- they are non-fishers--why not open the possibility of showing them what they are missing?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Hi Ed...we'll be hanging out. I don't think we'll "tour" more than 4 or 5 hrs in any day. Everything is pretty close together and we have 4 days with them. A couple of things on the list are just meals, too...with the days long as they are, we can go for a quick run after dinner to see some of this.

I promise not grind them into the dirt...and your observation is well taken, really, because that would ruin the trip.

Oh, and I will probably stick fly rods in their hands at some point...but not for long...

Thanks...-m

Last edited by mikel; 07-11-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

For the time you have Mike I feel your trip list is perfect, it'l will be warm, have a good trip.

Rick
Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

A side trip to view Convict would be short and easy, and you could sample the outstanding culinary fare of the restaurant there. Another stop could be the Mono Lake Tufa, easy and interesting to non-fishers. And Dynamo IS cool. milt.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 PM

Thanks Milt...never have looked at Mono myself and would have missed the Tufa...good call.

The restaurant at Convict? Really? I had no idea...if we have time when we're in Mammoth Lakes we might run down there. The problem is once you start south where do you stop? Shoot, I'd take them to Independence just for the view of the peaks, but that's too far...

Thanks again...-m
Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Head up to Virginia Lakes and spend a few hours on Little Virginia Lake, in a boat...

Virginia Lakes Resort

...who knows...'ya might even hook up with one of these Alpers (Tiploid Trout), that are planted in there, on a regular basis...

Click the image to open in full size.

...see my friends, John and Carolyn Webb, who run the joint...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Hey Rick (oarfish) I think if we stay up toward Bport it won't be killer hot. Anyone hiking down into the Owens Gorge better have some h2o along though, for sure.

Planettrout...I'll check it out, thanks...-Mike