The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   who owns the rights to fly patterns? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/291064-who-owns-rights-fly-patterns.html)

chauncey 07-11-2012 07:16 PM

who owns the rights to fly patterns?

I've been thinking about creating an app (Android and probably Iphone/Ipad) that allowed for user submitted fly patterns/pictures/recipes. But, I am troubled that people may submitted copywrite/trademarked patterns.

Are patterns like copper johns owned? Obviously its not hard to reverse engineer so I am not sure how far copy protection would extend - Reverse engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just seems stupid that in todays age, I need to have several books containing many of the same patterns to have a good collection. Seems like the perfect problem a tablet would solve.

And if this already exists I would love to know about it.

Chauncey

Noiso 07-11-2012 09:18 PM

Re: who owns the rights to fly patterns?

I have studied this issue from a balloon artist's perspective. If you publish a completely unique description of how to make a balloon dog then it is legal. If it has been published before then they can sue. You can't copyright a balloon dog or an elk hair caddis, but you can copyright the written and graphical description. I think.

fredaevans 07-11-2012 09:29 PM

As to fly patterns, there's very few out there that have (or had) that designation. The Teeny Nymph comes to mind. Even with that, you're free to tie your own as long as 'it's not for commercial purposes.'

As for a picture/name of a fly, look at any on-line catalog and you'll (obviously) find hundreds. And many of these have 'step by step' description on the construction in tier books, magazines, etc.

As for the application something just rings in my mind that there's already something similar on line. Spotted it ages ago looking for something else.

All that aside, I wouldn't get worked up if you figure out how to pull this off.

Rip Tide 07-12-2012 09:47 AM

The Waterwisp brand flies are even tied on their own patented hooks :D

chauncey 07-12-2012 11:27 AM

So I did some research last night and there is an iphone app that has fly tying videos and how tos but they cost 99 cents each (the app is free).

Nothing stands out on the android platform

fredaevans 07-12-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 470578)
The Waterwisp brand flies are even tied on their own patented hooks :D

"In response to hundreds of requests, we have finally been able to get hooks produced at an attractive price for those who want to tie Waterwisp-style flies."

I've got to order up some of those, darned 'unique' take on the fly hook. Don't recall ever seeing these before. :fishing:
Fred

Rip Tide 07-12-2012 04:21 PM

It's been many years years, but as I remember you weren't even supposed to be allowed to tie the Waterwisp style flies on your own when they first came out. It was a whole big thing.
It's probably in a mid '90s issue of Fly Fisherman magazine (that I'm not about to search for :rolleyes:)

fishingfly 07-12-2012 04:51 PM

I think I read something about patenting flies a while back. I seem to recall that due to the lack of substantial proof as to the the original tier most accusations can be countered by finding a similar fly and saying that he stole it from someone else. That being said it would still be a pain to go through it. If I have an app-based device I would buy it.

Liphookedau 07-12-2012 07:02 PM

For over 50 years I've never worried who owns The Pattern Rights as I like many many others mainly Tie for myself plus from time to time I give some to friends,plus there are millions of Flytyers who Tie thousands of Flies in well known Patterns to sell.
The English have never seemed to worry about it as they are The Originators of hundreds of Patterns,anyway it would be almost impossible to Police.
The Chinese wouldn't worry as there are no such thing as Patent Laws in China.
Brian.

Hardyreels 07-12-2012 11:22 PM

It's high time everyone knows the real answer to this question.

I do!

If you want to tie any flies from known patterns or print a recipe you have to mail me money prior to doing either. :D

Ard :shades: