The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough
Default who owns the rights to fly patterns?

I've been thinking about creating an app (Android and probably Iphone/Ipad) that allowed for user submitted fly patterns/pictures/recipes. But, I am troubled that people may submitted copywrite/trademarked patterns.

Are patterns like copper johns owned? Obviously its not hard to reverse engineer so I am not sure how far copy protection would extend - Reverse engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just seems stupid that in todays age, I need to have several books containing many of the same patterns to have a good collection. Seems like the perfect problem a tablet would solve.

And if this already exists I would love to know about it.

Chauncey
Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Re: who owns the rights to fly patterns?

I have studied this issue from a balloon artist's perspective. If you publish a completely unique description of how to make a balloon dog then it is legal. If it has been published before then they can sue. You can't copyright a balloon dog or an elk hair caddis, but you can copyright the written and graphical description. I think.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

As to fly patterns, there's very few out there that have (or had) that designation. The Teeny Nymph comes to mind. Even with that, you're free to tie your own as long as 'it's not for commercial purposes.'

As for a picture/name of a fly, look at any on-line catalog and you'll (obviously) find hundreds. And many of these have 'step by step' description on the construction in tier books, magazines, etc.

As for the application something just rings in my mind that there's already something similar on line. Spotted it ages ago looking for something else.

All that aside, I wouldn't get worked up if you figure out how to pull this off.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The Waterwisp brand flies are even tied on their own patented hooks
Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 AM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

So I did some research last night and there is an iphone app that has fly tying videos and how tos but they cost 99 cents each (the app is free).

Nothing stands out on the android platform
Old 07-12-2012, 03:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The Waterwisp brand flies are even tied on their own patented hooks
"In response to hundreds of requests, we have finally been able to get hooks produced at an attractive price for those who want to tie Waterwisp-style flies."

I've got to order up some of those, darned 'unique' take on the fly hook. Don't recall ever seeing these before.
Fred
Old 07-12-2012, 04:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It's been many years years, but as I remember you weren't even supposed to be allowed to tie the Waterwisp style flies on your own when they first came out. It was a whole big thing.
It's probably in a mid '90s issue of Fly Fisherman magazine (that I'm not about to search for )
Old 07-12-2012, 04:51 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

I think I read something about patenting flies a while back. I seem to recall that due to the lack of substantial proof as to the the original tier most accusations can be countered by finding a similar fly and saying that he stole it from someone else. That being said it would still be a pain to go through it. If I have an app-based device I would buy it.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:02 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

For over 50 years I've never worried who owns The Pattern Rights as I like many many others mainly Tie for myself plus from time to time I give some to friends,plus there are millions of Flytyers who Tie thousands of Flies in well known Patterns to sell.
The English have never seemed to worry about it as they are The Originators of hundreds of Patterns,anyway it would be almost impossible to Police.
The Chinese wouldn't worry as there are no such thing as Patent Laws in China.
Brian.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It's high time everyone knows the real answer to this question.

I do!

If you want to tie any flies from known patterns or print a recipe you have to mail me money prior to doing either.

Ard
Liphookedau and swirlchaser like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;