The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lessons learned: Do not practice casting in the backyard

Yes they say, do not practice on the lawn....Unfortunatly, where I am, we don't even have grass. I have to practice in the dirt and rocks. (Pictures tomorrow) I have a practice line, (old RIO bonefish taper ) that I throw and always use a leader to try and keep it real. Keeps me in the swing of things.....Big loop----small loop----left curve----right curve.....Good times in an austere enviroment.....

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 AM

chauncey is on a distinguished road

No I didnt have a leader on the end, I was just casting the fly line which could have exacerbated the issue. As far as casting distance I am definitely keeping the distance pretty short (20-25 ft). I noticed that my casts at that distance are much much better (the line is almost always perfectly straight in front of me and there are no cracking sounds from the fly line whipping around.

If I increase the distance to 30-40 ft I immediately have issues with cracking sounds and the the fly line running into the rod or the tailing loop. I have a 9ft 4wt rod and feel that I should be able to cast much further which is why I am practicing so much.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 AM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades
bocamike is on a distinguished road

I thought I had a pretty good grasp on this subject, but I don't know what amnesia is (I thought it has something to do with one's memory, or lack thereof). I can say however, that I've done hundreds of practice casts in the front lawn and have never frayed or split a line. As previously mentioned, the best "rigging" for the task is to always have a leader attached (I use the loop-to-loop technique), and in fact, I use a tippet also. I usually terminate that rigging with an old fly from which I have snipped off the hook. (I'm ashamed to say that I seem to have a good supply of old flies which are the result of my failed fly-tying efforts).

I strongly recommend that a loop knot in the end of the fly line is essential for simple leader changes. If not familiar, lots of information on "fishing knots" is as close as your nearest Google search argument. There certainly should be no need to consider changing lines between practice and the real thing (unless you are in the same boat as a previous poster who is not blessed with grass in his yard).

Now, back to my fly-tying education.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Your fly line was designed to be used with a leader. Practicing without one isn't helping.
If you're hearing a cracking noise, most likely you are starting your forward cast before the back cast has had time to open. You need to turn your head to watch it unfurl and only then start the forward cast.
I would think that lawn casing is not what is harming your line. Rather it is you "muscling" your forward cast and not using a leader.
Rather than ruining a tapered leader with wind knots, practice with a 6' length of regular mono instead
Old 07-13-2012, 11:30 AM

chauncey is on a distinguished road

yeah will definitely do that in the future, still sucks that i ruined another fly line =\
Old 07-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If all you did was damage the front taper a couple feet from the end you can make a new loop on the line. Search the 'Fly Lines' posts and you'll find instructions ranging from hand tied loops to welded types. I do both because some of my lines don't come with loops.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades

It's not clear to me why you say you ruined another fly line. If the damage is just at the end, cut off the frayed end, terminate the fly line in a loop, attach a leader, and go back to your practice, or take that same line fishing...One very easy method to place a loop at the end of your fly line is the Whipped Loop, instuctions readily available on the web or contained in many books.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I like lawn casting for practice. It's not as ideal as casting in water but I've found that it certainly helps. I have an old reel with old fly line and banged up leaders that I've rebuilt specifically for the purpose of practice casting. I split some glo bug yarn in thirds and tie a piece on at the end.

Don't throw that old fly line away if you like to practice casting out of the water.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Dave, just curious where you are. That picture reminds me of scenes in the Florida Keys.........or in the Bahamas. Is either of those a close guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishindave View Post
Yes they say, do not practice on the lawn....Unfortunatly, where I am, we don't even have grass. I have to practice in the dirt and rocks. (Pictures tomorrow) I have a practice line, (old RIO bonefish taper ) that I throw and always use a leader to try and keep it real. Keeps me in the swing of things.....Big loop----small loop----left curve----right curve.....Good times in an austere enviroment.....
Old 07-13-2012, 05:44 PM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about

In my garage I always have strung up one of the first fly rods I ever bought...8 1/2 foot 5 weight Scientific Anglers) on sale clearance $20.....a $25 Pleugler that I bought at the same store (Walmart) and one of 6 orange colored Scientifc Anglers 6WT Floating WF lines (not a cheapo line) ..I bought on clearance at $1 each (regular $30 I think at the time...it was around 98'...and still the best deal I've ever found at walmart). Almost every day I cast it a little for fun without a leader on my lawn practicing distance, double hauling and timing...it has allowed me to be able to clear my line to the backing. Its not what I call the ultimate in realism..and that cast itself will never be practical in terms of me targeting a rising trout 90 feet away ...but it has still helped my abilities tremendously when I'm on the river - which is about 1 day per week.