The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lessons learned: Do not practice casting in the backyard

Even though from time to time we have all probably cast in our Backyards,on Grass Lawns etc,it's better if it's near the water with a Fly or two attached on a Tipit via a Leader.where you have a chance of Hooking a Fish.
As mentioned it's not difficult to make another Loop which I have on most of my Lines,then I use either a Furled or a Shock Leader which I always leave on my Reels.
Then all you have to do either add your Leader or Tipit.

Incidently Ard has previously posted how to make Shock Leaders,they prevent The Mono biting into & damaging The Loop,also they protect Fine Tipits.
Brian.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:08 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lessons learned: Do not practice casting in the backyard

I practice in my yard all the time....I do not use new line but line that I have retired due to wear and tear.
I find the 'slickness' wears out on the fly line after a while and even cleaning and using the numerous fly line condidtioner don't help much.
Grass will beat up a new line pretty quickly.
I was told to never practice without a leader..will result in a 'snapped/broken fly line.' Since I have never done so I don't know if it is true or not.
I use one of those store bought tippets with piece of yarn tied on as a fly.
Since I make my own furuled leaders now, I don't use the store bought tippets anymore. I probably have a lifetime supply of them.