The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:55 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough
Default Lessons learned: Do not practice casting in the backyard

Ruined my second fly line today (in 3 months...) practicing out in the backyard. It's cut almost all the way through near the end loop =\... I had Front range anglers tie on some amnesia last time this happened but it ends up getting wind knots in it and kinking up real bad...

Guess I've learned my lesson and will be purchasing a new fly line before my next outing =\
Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lessons learned: Do not practice casting in the backyard

Cut off the end loop and re-tie the leader?! No need for the loop or you can make your own if you prefer. (do a site search on Fly line loops)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

Sure, and I did that last time this happened but seems like casting in the grass is still pretty bad for the fly line so I may just buy a new spool and fly line to keep for fishing and this line/spool for practicing...
Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I tend to snag clovers when I do cast in grass. but thats not as often now, expect when i unroll and clean and trat my lines, its hard not to fling line a few times.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I had the same dang thing happen, how does this make the line split near the loop ? hmmmmm

As far as the amnesia goes, only run like 6" of it and it isnt a problem so much with the twisting

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

when you practice, do you have some leader and a fly (bit of yarn) hooked up, or are you just casting the line? I believe you should always have the terminal stuff on there or you run this risk...maybe someone else will comment that is more qualified than me...--mike
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
when you practice, do you have some leader and a fly (bit of yarn) hooked up, or are you just casting the line? I believe you should always have the terminal stuff on there or you run this risk...maybe someone else will comment that is more qualified than me...--mike
makes sence.. I always have a line looped on with yarn and have never split line..
Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I won't claim to be qualified but.............. When you cast a fly line with no leader attached you may be guilty of a bit of cracking the whi; this will fray or split a vinyl line at the tip.

As for wind knots in an Amnesia butt section........ You may need to shorten the practice casts a good deal and become proficient at control using a short line before going for any great distance in casting. We all want to cast long when just starting out but doing so just causes problems.

Although there are some people who will pick up casting very quickly, for many becoming really good at this will take a long time. I don't remember practicing casting on grass although I do sometimes test a new rod this way just to feel the action. There is nothing that will compare to water for practice.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-12-2012, 10:14 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

Ard nailed it. Work on proper timing to avoid popping the line, and ALWAYS keep a leader on the line. A fake fly piece of yarn or something is OK, but you can live without it. Just don't cast without a leader.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:11 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

In order to save the leader from fraying in our fly school we tie a batch of yarn (or EP material) on the leader or tippet. Basically just cut a clump about an inch long on to the end of the leader/ tippet using a slip knot. This serves to both protect the end of the line and make the end more visible.

However, is the cut in your fly line? I have had that problem before (thanks dad). It was caused by me pulling a windknot in the fly line (not the leader) too tightly. The knot was clinched so tightly that the line was cut in half. In that case you want to cut the fly line off above the cut watching for any water in the line. If water seeped in then you want to find the extent of it and cut it there. After that then you can create another loop in your fly line for a loop to loop connection in the thread that somebody mentioned before. No need to spend money on new line... and thats coming from a fly line salesman

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!