The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 AM

brewskier is on a distinguished road
Default Using 5 wt full sink line on a 4wt rod/reel?

I bought an extra spool for my fly reel planning on using a full sink line, but I can't find a 4wt full sink for a good price. I can find 5wt full sink for about $15 shipped. Will I have any trouble using a heavier line than my rod and reel is set up for? I have a decent rod and reel, but it's nothing spectacular. I don't want to buy it if I'm going to have problems.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Using 5 wt full sink line on a 4wt rod/reel?

If we were talking about an 8 or 9 weight I would say no problems but we're not. You may find the line will be overloading the rod. Short casts will be OK but if you try hurling a long line or to drag a long line from the water the rod may not work real well. You would be better off with a full sinking #3 on a 4 weight than a #5 line.

I may be all wet with that reply but it is what comes to mind when I think about doing that with one of my light rods.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It will depend how well you can adjust your casting stroke.

I use 5 weight sink tip and full sinking lines on my 4 weight medium fast action rod. The rod can handle the additional load without a problem.

Dennis
Old 07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

After reading MP's post I feel I should note that I speak in generalities on such topics. While some people may have no problem doing what you describe, as a rule doing this will not make casting the #4 rod easier or more pleasant. Generally speaking that is...... You ask whether this would work for you and so I'll stand by my reply. Whether I can do it or not, does not mean that you will be able to adapt.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I over-line my rods all the time, but after reading this thread I couldn't help but think that this is a really bad idea. The difference between say a 5wt and a 6wt rod isn't that great, but in my mind the difference between an 4wt and a 5wt is a lot. Rather than just coming out and saying that, I decided that I needed to test it first myself

So.... I was just out back casting with a 4wt rod and a 5wt full sinking line
Guess what ?... Worked fine. In fact much better than I thought it would.
Nothing like a little first hand knowledge
Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

My thought is that it would depend on the 4wt. I have a fast Redington CPS that would handle a 5wt sinking with no problem and a genteel old Sage blank that would crash and burn.

Afraid that doesn't help much. The only way to know is to try, like Rip did. And for $15, why not?

Mike
Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
It will depend how well you can adjust your casting stroke.
My response was a "your mileage will vary" response.

In general, uplining slows the action of a rod. Do you think that you can make that adjustment?

Dennis
Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
My thought is that it would depend on the 4wt. I have a fast Redington CPS that would handle a 5wt sinking with no problem and a genteel old Sage blank that would crash and burn.
Afraid that doesn't help much. The only way to know is to try, like Rip did. And for $15, why not?
Without counting, I think that I have at least five 4wt rods. However the one that I used in this test is the only graphite rod of the group, the others are fiberglass or cane and I was sure that they would collapse under the 5wt line (maybe not).
The test rod is a Scottish made Daiwa/Lochmor-X (F804-4U) is is definitely no more than a medium action. That's why I was confident at the time that it wouldn't "pass"
The line is a very old but as yet unfished SA Wet Cell WF5S
No one is more surprised than I.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

My thought is it depends on the type of sinking line. In a full sink- intermediate, type I, type II, III should be ok. Type IV, V would be pushing it, and type VII would really be pushing it unless it was a fast rod. This is from my experience. Also it depends on how far you're casting it.

Last edited by mojo; 07-13-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

So the short answer is "it depends." That's fly fishing.

Mike