The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default perfected patterns

what is one fly pattern that you can tie the best or almost perfectly most of the time. for me its either an ep minnow or a clouser but clousers dont count because of how easy they are. its like being good at tieing a bucktail bendback.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:53 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

I had a fellow fly tier chew me out a couple months back as I was just starting for not knowing how to tie a Pheasant Tail Nymph. Since that day I have tied probably close to 500 PTNs and I'm willing to say I can tie them perfectly!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-13-2012, 07:57 PM

jimspeaker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: perfected patterns

The fly that I developed specifically for deep nymphing the Cedar River in WA: Cedar CDC Stone

It's my usual first-choice point fly on any big water I fish: Yakima R, Bighole R, Methow R, Rock Creek MT, etc.

Cedar CDC Stone
Tiemco 3761BL #10
Tail: Pheasant Tail (reddish fibers only)
Rib: Medium (Amber) Copper Wire wound fairly tight, just enough space to barely expose underbody
-- tie in the tab-end of wire on the side of the hook up to the thorax to get the foundation for some threadwraps to form a widened, fairly uniform stonefly body
Body: Pheasant Tail (reddish fibers only)
Wingcase: Wide Black Holographic Tinsel
Thorax: Peacock Ice Dub
Legs: Dark(est) Gray CDC Puffs
Head: (Amber) Copper Bead

Click the image to open in full size.

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
http://fishing.smarttripmap.com
Old 07-13-2012, 08:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: perfected patterns

That's a nice fly Jim
A good combination of weight, action, and sparkle. Good "triggers' !
I'm going to remember that one
Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jim: Great looking pattern, I'm going to have to give that a try. I bet it would be a great pattern on the local rivers.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Thanks guys. I don't tend to fish it in shallower / lower-flow streams. It's a bit of a rock. This is the fly that gets down fast to drop into the hole quick.

'preciate the kudos. Hope it hooks up for ya.

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
what is one fly pattern that you can tie the best or almost perfectly most of the time.
San Juan Worm.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

My favorite is the Tracy Petersen Bat Wing Emerger...with the correct color hen neck one can just about match any May fly...and this pattern is a killer...

Bat Wing Epeorus albertae...#16...

PT/TB
tamster321 and jimspeaker like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Bat Wing Epeorus albertae...#16...
That's a super-nice looking nymph. I'm going to have to tie some of those.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:31 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I don't think I can tie any fly perfectly, but I'm pretty good at tying san juan worms

Didn't realize MP beat me to this answer, guess I really should learn to read... But as far as perfection, I'm not even that good with sucker spawn!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Last edited by gatortransplant; 07-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.