The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Ross Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/2912-ross-reels.html)

FlyFisher77 12-26-2007 07:20 PM

Ross Reels

New poster here looking for some advice. I just recently purchased a G-Loomis streamdance 9ft 5wt rod. Of course with a new rod, I must purchase a new reel! Out of all the high quality reels out there I have narrowed it down to either a Ross Evolution or Rhythm. I need a reel that will handle the medium sized cutthroats of the Firehole to the hefty spring spawners of the Missouri. Of course the evolution is a better looking reel, but the price is much higher. Any thoughts from current owners on either one will be helpful.

BigCliff 12-27-2007 10:32 AM

Re: Ross Reels

From what I know, they are very similar, with the Evo' being lighter and much prettier.

One thing that I might consider, given your locale, is whether the design of the Evo' makes it more vulnerable to icing up. I don't know any actual examples of this being a common issue, I'm just thinking its design could lend itself to that.

tie one on 12-27-2007 12:22 PM

I own two Ross reels & if I needed another reel that's
probably what I'd buy again. Both are Cimmarons. One
is a CLA for my 4wt Sage FLi & the other for my Scott 5wt.

If your after trout, either of these reels are in a good price
range & should work fine, they work for me. I've even landing
BIG Smallmouth on my 5wt. I know the EVo & Rhythm are a
little more $$$, but spending extra is a personal choice.

Check with your local fly shop, or with The Full Creel about
what reel might be best for that rod.

Tie One On

fatguide 12-27-2007 01:26 PM

Can't go wrong with either Ross. I own three different models (5 total reels) and each one has served me well.

The way a company backs their products is also important. I ran over (pretty stupid huh) one of mine with the truck, sent it back to them and they replaced it no charge. That's what customer service is all about.

Frank Whiton 12-27-2007 03:00 PM

Hi FlyFisher77,

Ross makes good reels and they are very light. One feature I dislike is the incoming click. I don't want any reel that clicks on the retrieve.

Frank

FlyFisher77 12-27-2007 06:35 PM

fantastic advice, thanks everyone. Being that I like fishing all year, except during hunting season, I deal with the cold quite a few months. I don't think it matters what reel you use, when you are fishing in single digit, sometime negative temperatures, it has the tendency to ice up along with your guides. Can't beat the Beaverhead in January, lots of big browns but you have to clear the ice every third cast.