The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Best Fishing Video Links

I'm a sucker for good fly fishing films. I started this thread as a link where people can post their favorite fly fishing films.

Some of my favorites come from Robert Thompson out of Chicago, who is a great guy and known for his films "Heart of the Driftless,"

"Night of the Hex,"

and "Musky Hunter, Zero to Hero."

Robert's webpage is: Third Year Fly Fisher | Welcome

I'm also a big fan of Conway Bowman's video "Speed, Muscle, and Teeth," a film about fly fishing for mako sharks off the coast of San Diego. Some peolple just have stones.....I was watching this video preview at the fly fishing film tour last year and watched Conway Bowman accidentally walk off the back of the boat while fighting a mako shark. He lived to finish the video....

In keeping with the shark videos, there are some people that don't always go out of the house looking for sharks, but end up closer than they would have expected. My intent for this thread wasn't to show random shark videos, but I thought these would also be entertaining. I was watching the evening news and saw this and was completely shocked.
A girl is reeling in a fish from a pier at her family's property in Mrytle Beach, SC and gets a little suprise from the river below.

I'm a huge fan of shark week and river monsters. I have heard that the larger the bull shark, the better they regulate salt in their systems, thus allowing them to liver further upstream in fresh water. I'm also a big fan of golf course fishing, since people are rarely able to fish these ponds. Here's another video from Australia after the floods from a few years ago. This is for you golf fans down south who think the only problems you have (besides your slice.....shank-a-potamus!) are the alligators and snakes you might encounter while golfing:

Old 07-13-2012, 10:44 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Fishing Video Links

Here are some of mine

Some beautiful mayfly shots and great trout surface takes, haven't yet bought the whole video, but it looks great

An also like this pike on the fly video. Some amazing surface takes. I've only caught smaller pike on a fly rod and those took sub-surface flies. This looks amazing.

Finally, I always watch the Orvis Friday Fly Fishing Festival. They have great videos.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:01 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

Plus one for the Todd Moen Bass Fishing video, that is my go-to fly fishing video. However I also enjoy the guys at Frontside Fly:

And for my big fish fix:

Great idea for a thread.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:15 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Old 07-14-2012, 09:41 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

So there was a thread in the rod forum about your top three rods, if money owas no option. I had a 9 foot 5 weight for trout, a single handed 9 foot 9 weight for the salt, and a spey rod to fish for steelhead, kings, and atlantic salmon. My two favorite fishing shows (now that The Spanish Fly has tragically ended) are Napa's North to Alaska Larry Csonka: Index and Seasons on the Fly http://www.seasonsonthefly.com/blog/ . The video below is a full length episode of seasons on the fly where the filmed Atlantic salmon fishing in Iceland. This would be on my list of top 5 fishing locations.

Another favorite was one of this years fly fishing film tour short films, "Doc of the Drakes."

Last edited by chicagojohn; 07-26-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 PM

Estimated 10 foot, 800 pound mako on a fly rod.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZJYVKejC5XE