The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Fly casting from my new kayak

I got to take my Sport Fisher kayak to the lake today for it's first test. It did GREAT, and they are a fun way to fish. If you were using one in cold water conditions, you'd want waterproof footwear,,and water resistant (at least) pants. It seems there is just gonna be a certain amount of drip off of kayak paddles. And , unless I find a better way to launch, you need to wade out into a foot or so of water then sit over onto your kayak. I was always pretty good at launching a canoe with just a low rubber shoe,,or even leather shoes. But this kayak is a different creature. I may learn new tricks, as I'm a greenhorn kayak-er,,but that's what I see now.

Casting ? WONDERFUL DEAL ! I followed someones advice about a towel in your lap to lay your line on as you strip it in. Keep my deck clear of 'stuff' pretty much,,and it worked like a charm. I only used a couple different streamers trying for bass...as I was playing with the kayak too,,and knew it was not going to be a 'fish productive' evening. I did catch one large-mouth about 12" another small one about 10",, and a couple slab bluegills,,,in what time I actually fished. Released them all, btw.

I was rained out early, got totally soaked,,but had a blast playing and trying to learn this new fishing method.

Better than a canoe ? No, I wouldn't say that. It's just different. I see virtues in both that the other one doesn't cover. But this Sport Fisher is STABLE. I came in to shore,,unloaded,,but before I pulled the kayak, I launched into some waist high water and TRIED to tip it. I guess it can be done, but I couldn't do it. I would rock it to the point one could 'fall off' but it'd bob you right back up. I was pretty impressed.

I certainly am no kayak expert, but thought you folks might be interested in my initial thoughts on this undertaking.

Oh, and as with a canoe, these things can navigate stealthy,,,one sneaky craft, noise almost zero.

Mike
Old 07-14-2012, 11:07 PM

wolftever is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly casting from my new kayak

Mike,

I found your post to be very interesting, as I am considering purchasing a canoe for myself. I fish a lot of small-ish lakes in the Colorado high-country, and I'm thinking a kayak would be an ideal way to work these lakes. I typically use a belly-boat, but it doesn't always work very well; especially in the larger of the lakes I frequent.

I'm thinking specifically of Chambers Lake, on Colorado Highway 14 just west of Fort Collins. A great trout lake - they seem to always be hitting. The lake is a little large to effectively cover in a belly-boat. So I'm pondering the pros and cons of a kayak.

Are there any reasons a canoe would be better than a kayak?

Thanks,
Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 AM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades
bocamike is on a distinguished road

I too had the urge to meld a 'yak with my fly fishing action, but after what seemed as close calls with gators (I'm in south Florida), I quickly listed and sold the boat on Craigs list and succumbed to strictly bank fishing. In the short time I owned the kayak however, I picked up a couple of pointers/resources I'll pass along.

First, I located a periodic mag called "kayak fishing" which is crammed full of helpful information. I then found a local "yak fishing club" which I learned is a great way to quickly learn the ropes, and to enjoy scheduled outings amongst those with the same interest. In my area, they trip not only into the fresh water but into salt water areas as well.

Finally, I acquired one extremely useful accessory called "kayak caddy" which is a pair of wheels designed to simply mount into the scuppers of a sit-ontop kayak, enabling trouble-free transport from your car to the water. Just unrack your yak from the car top, install the fold-up caddy, load your gear into the boat, and wheel your way to where ever you need to be for access to the water. Once at the water's edge, remove the caddy, collapse it, and stow aboard, securing with a bungy (it's compact and out of the way when stowed). I found the caddy on the web (some place out in the Pacific NW), for about $100. Really a nice device for when you can't get your car close to the water.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

The current lines of "sport" kayaks and sit-on-tops, all seem to be very stable platforms. I find it much harder to tip one of these, as opposed to a canoe. They have much flatter bottoms than canoes, stabilizing "ribs", and if you sit properly, a much lower center of gravity.

The advantage of a canoe over a kayak is in weight carrying capacity. If you are packing all of the "stuff" that you need to live for a week or so back into a remote area, the canoe has far more carrying capacity,

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The advantage of a canoe over a kayak is in weight carrying capacity. If you are packing all of the "stuff" that you need to live for a week or so back into a remote area, the canoe has far more carrying capacity,
That is the big plus for a canoe. I really don't fish were I'm in the need to carry camping equipment..as my trips are usually one day outters. So the kayak seems to suit me good.

WERE I to get into fishing from a canoe again, I might try those 'mount in' outriggers for stability. Haven't used them, but I gather they are totally adjustable,,and removable. I've read were it's very , very hard to tip a canoe with these mounted.

I'm really not sure it's a thing of which is 'best', but more which best suits an individuals needs and desires. I will give the kayak a thumbs up from what I've seen so far.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
I might try those 'mount in' outriggers for stability. I've read were it's very , very hard to tip a canoe with these mounted.
My father bought some pontoon outriggers years ago when my sister was little and to use when he had a 3 hp motor on a side bracket. It was a nightmare. They splashed water into the canoe, were noisy, made landing fish a PITA and got in the way of paddling. I always took them off. I'm sure they have improved them, but seems to me they defeat the purpose of having a canoe.

He took a friend who'd just got interested in hunting out to an island in Long Island Sound one January duck hunting. The wind picked up and the pontoons splashed so much water into it that the only thing keeping them going was the outboard. They made it to a pile of rocks halfway to shore and were rescued by the coast guard. Both shotguns (one of them my Browning humpback) were completely submerged in salt water. If he'd have left those things off, he'd have been fine. They gave a false sense of security.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 PM

Good to know, Jim. Of course anyone selling something is gonna tout it as a most marvelous creation. It's good to hear a first hand account of these outrigger things.

Salt water all on a 'humpback Browning' ! That'll give me nightmares tonight ! I have had a couple or three humpbacks,,,still have my Sweet 16 that I just LOVE.

Mike
Old 07-15-2012, 11:06 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

I am really considering buying a kayak at some point, but hate the thought of having to use paddles to keep myself from drifting. So I am really in love with Hobi Cats, while they are extremely expensive I think pedaling will be much easier.

Hobie Cat Company - Fishing

Definitely liking the pro angler 14

oh and there is a dealer in longmont - http://theanchorage.com/store/#ecwid...roduct=8748964