The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wypatch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 PM

wypatch will become famous soon enough
Default Aint ever seen nothing like this!

Today I was driveing back to town and stopped to look at some water about 30 miles down steam of were I fish here on the Wind/Big Horn river in Wyoming. Not much to look at... But, at this diversion dam I started to watch minnows trying to swim straight up the little bit of water on the wall, about three feet up, the dam is 5' high. Waitting for them as they slid back down to the foam are scads of large carp riseing up to a foot out of the water to get`em. I proceeded to break out the spey rod and started toss`in the two #6 bucktail streamers I tie that were on already. As expected, they would`nt touch them, but as I watched the way the carp were feeding I started casting the flies onto the dam itself and let the water drag`em to the fish. BAMMBO 10lb carp !!! I got 4 lost 2, only one was foul hooked! I stopped for a while every few minutes just to watch this... They never spooked, just kept eatting.

Anybody ever see something like this before? I`m thinking I need to scout new water more often
Jackster and Rip Tide like this.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aint ever seen nothing like this!

Pretty interesting, I haven't seen anything like that.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 AM

jdwy is on a distinguished road

Me neither, but I did catch a carp on a Wooley Bugger at Waddell Reservoir a couple years back. Going to give North Fork above the res a try in a couple hours.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Earlier this spring when I was in the drain i watched one of the koi charge the bank and push a bunch of water and minnows onto the shore, when the water would flow back into the creek and the minnows would flop in, the koi was sucking them down.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 AM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

dolphins have been seen doing something similar on the shores of beaches
Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

I fish for Carp a lot and have never seen that behavior. Amazing. I would like a shot at Carp feeding like that.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 PM

wypatch will become famous soon enough

I hope they`er still do`in it when I go back that way in a few weeks. When I do I`ll bring a camera and get a vid. I seen a carp that I could of put my hand in its mouth. It was about 100 that day and I had no water. I only stayed a few hours and I had to go...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

I have seen trout swim up the spillway at a local popular spot. pretty interesting. some actually make it.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wypatch View Post
Today I was driveing back to town and stopped to look at some water about 30 miles down steam of were I fish here on the Wind/Big Horn river in Wyoming. Not much to look at... But, at this diversion dam I started to watch minnows trying to swim straight up the little bit of water on the wall, about three feet up, the dam is 5' high. Waitting for them as they slid back down to the foam are scads of large carp riseing up to a foot out of the water to get`em. I proceeded to break out the spey rod and started toss`in the two #6 bucktail streamers I tie that were on already. As expected, they would`nt touch them, but as I watched the way the carp were feeding I started casting the flies onto the dam itself and let the water drag`em to the fish. BAMMBO 10lb carp !!! I got 4 lost 2, only one was foul hooked! I stopped for a while every few minutes just to watch this... They never spooked, just kept eatting.

Anybody ever see something like this before? I`m thinking I need to scout new water more often
I've seen carp gathered at dam outlets like that many times, along with freshwater drum and buffalo, but never feeding on minnows. I have hooked them on lead head jigs in that situation many times using spin tackle. The carp often tried to swim upstream themselves.

The weirdest thing I've ever seen like that was as a kid: a guy hooking two big buffalo using a dardevle type muskie spoon reeling as fast as he could through the school--the lure was 8-10 inches long not counting the hook. I think he was really trying to snag them, but he hooked two in the mouth.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting story...and amazing sight you could watchbut I'm not surprised to see carp feeding on minnows they're omnivorousI remember hooking some when I fished for pike with the "animated dead fish" technique long ago