The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Question Ghost Net issues - fish slip THRU the net?

Last year I lost my old Brodin teardrop net and after a lot looking and reading I was convinced by many that the new thermoplastic nets, or Ghost bags as they are called, were the best think since hooks. I found a company that makes really nice nets here in Montana, Bozeman I believe. So I paid a few extra buck over the Brodin. Fine, the net bag itself is probably the same.

I've used it some but yesterday I gave it a workout. And something very strange happened, that I still have a hard time figuring out. I scooped up a nice trout 14-15" or so and I swear the fish slipped through the net, not out of it, through it! It just disappeared, but it was still hooked and my leader was now through the net...with the fish on the other side. I netted it again but still couldn't believe the fish could get through it. The bags are soft and pliable, but come on!

I hooked another fish, this was a very nice rainbow, in the 18"+ range, thick. I netted it - barely fit in the bag, tail hanging out. I put my hand around it to unhook it and got a feel for the girth of the fish, which had to have been 5" across it's side, back to belly. As I held it in the water and reached for my camera, again - the fish just disappeared! It did not feel like it kicked and jumped over the net...now I was very confused, but figured I just imagined it.

Much later in the day, one last fish slipped through the net bag. Again, still hooked, fish in the water on one side with my leader through the net and me on the other side!

So I stretched the net holes to see how wide they would go, and of course I broke one open!! I am still going to try to return it. The bag doesn't hold fish well, at least not fish 15" or larger, so what's the point then? I don't net fish smaller than that anyway. They kick and flop out. And now they can just swim through it?

What good is a net?!

Has anyone ever had this happen?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ghost Net issues - fish slip THRU the net?

I have a Brodin Ghost and have never had that problem. I suspect the plastic formulation is wrong, adding to much of the material that keeps the plastic from being brittle.

Dave
Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 PM

montanawildoutdoors is on a distinguished road

That had to be a pretty funny sight! Sorry, never heard of that before.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanawildoutdoors View Post
That had to be a pretty funny sight! Sorry, never heard of that before.
It was the most bizarre thing I have had happen while fishing. The first time I was just baffled. When that 2lbs rainbow did the same thing I thought I was losing it. I mean I have my camera in hand ready to snap this gorgeous fish and it was gone!

I emailed Mike at Blue Ribbon Nets this evening and he responded quickly. One of the their first mold mixes was indeed off, as Dave suggested. They thought they had caught them all but he has heard from a couple other people. So they will send me a new bag. Relief...I am NOT crazy!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Now that is truly bizzare. I can imagine the expression on your face when you discovered the tippet going through the net to the fish on the other side.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi John,

People may consider me a savage but unless I'm fishing a very small stream for small trout ............ or, looking to restrain fish prior to photographing them, I don't use a net. For fish 15" and larger (should I be that fortunate) I drag them to the waterline and wrestle with them there. With practice this gets easy to handle

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-18-2012, 03:51 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me, but I don't understand why someone would need to use a net on a fish that's small enough to slip through
Old 07-18-2012, 04:06 PM

I'm with you Ard. I usually only net fish if I want to try to get a picture. Unfortunately when the net has magical holes that expand it makes it even harder to get the shot you want!

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Excuse me, but I don't understand why someone would need to use a net on a fish that's small enough to slip through
It's ok Rip Tide...of the three trout that slipped through, none where smaller than 14"...the best was closer to 18"! That is why I was so confused as well. Turns out the net material is defective, overly flexible, so the holes can stretch open for slippery quarry to escape.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

When I first read your post, I had preconceived thoughts on how the story would lay out. Thinking larger net and landing trout that stretch across the palm of your hand.

What a bizarre occurrence! I've not heard of this before but glad to hear you pinpointed the problem and even better news that it seems as though you've got some resolution!

Ard, I'm with you. Lugging around large nets for large fish is more trouble than it seems to be worth. I get them close enough to me and tail em if I can, or muscle them close to the bank. For trout, I typically always carry a net.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
When I first read your post, I had preconceived thoughts on how the story would lay out. Thinking larger net and landing trout that stretch across the palm of your hand.

What a bizarre occurrence! I've not heard of this before but glad to hear you pinpointed the problem and even better news that it seems as though you've got some resolution!

Ard, I'm with you. Lugging around large nets for large fish is more trouble than it seems to be worth. I get them close enough to me and tail em if I can, or muscle them close to the bank. For trout, I typically always carry a net.
Nope...nice trout

Click the image to open in full size.

I did bank the last one...

Click the image to open in full size.