The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 09:05 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road
Default looking for a 10wt for saltwater

hello all, it has been a while since I have been on the forum. too much time in the office and not enough on the water.

I am looking to buy a 10wt rod/reel for tarpon, snook, and the monster permit found in Everglades Nat'l Park. I am looking at getting a reel or rod first have about $370.00 to spend on either(christmas was good to me) then the other will follow for my birthday at the end of January.

Help!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: looking for a 10wt for saltwater

I know this isn't the correct place for this but it is on topic.
I have a relativley new St. Croix Legend Elite 10 weight I need to sell in your price range..
It's a good rod, just used too little.
PM me if interested.

Mods, please remove if inappropriate.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Jackster, yer safe there. TFO makes some good 10's for the money, and I think there's a review of ECHO's 10wt Classic on this site. (Might have been there 9wt, not sure)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tbrillinger223,

We have missed you posting.

The Legend Elite is a fast action rod and they offer it in a fresh water and a saltwater rod. The Freshwater rod weighs 4.3oz and the Saltwater weighs 4.5oz. It may be a good rod for you. A new one is out of your price range a little bit.

The TFO TiCr 10 wt would also be a good choice and is priced in your range. The TFO 10 wt weighs 5.6oz so you will be dealing with a heavier rod with the TFO. Weight is one penalty that all TFO rods have. The TiCr is a fast action rod and they cast quite well. I don't know just how good the 10wt will cast. TFO offers a 10wt in the Professional series but I think the action is too slow for your application.

Maybe Bonefish41 will give us his 2 cents. Ray fishes that area quite a bit.

Frank
Old 12-27-2007, 06:34 PM

Thanks guys,

Guess im going to play the feely touchy game and maybe save my pennies somemore.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

... putting on my best salesmans jacket...

Don't forget the hardware. The Elite will have nothing but top of the line, long lasting and super-slick guides. The finish, reel seat and overall workmanship cannot be compared to the others mentioned. It also has a graphite scrim which just now a very few manufacturers, like Sage, are getting into using on their premium rods. The classic Loomis GLX's have had this for years by-the-way.
It's made up in Wisconsin too by people with a passion for what they do, who know what fly rods are used for and who are probably worrying when their jobs too will go offshore!
Do I sound anxious or what?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:39 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrillinger223 View Post
hello all, it has been a while since I have been on the forum. too much time in the office and not enough on the water.

I am looking to buy a 10wt rod/reel for tarpon, snook, and the monster permit found in Everglades Nat'l Park. I am looking at getting a reel or rod first have about $370.00 to spend on either(christmas was good to me) then the other will follow for my birthday at the end of January.

Help!!!
TB
Here's my suggestions:: and they are all old and used or new if some out of the way shop has one and wants to get rid of it...no new unless you got money to burn or wrapin your own...besides you don't want some dandified TCR 10 that this old man uses or some light weight with no guts in the butt...you want a manly 10 wt for everything from bones to tarpon to 125... wackin the gunnels in the glades...you want an old fiberglass schimed graph..so it adds an 1 oz: #1 a 10 RPLX sage particularly if it's two piece; #2 Stu Apt Signature Series Diamondback; #3 old Loomis mega 10 pre-shimano #4 winston XTR three piece...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 PM

Dang bonefish... looking at it from a general POV, there are many rods out there besides 10 weight TCR's, 11 weight XTR's, Diamondback Stu Apte Signatures and such.
In over 50 years of fly fishing if I've learned anything it's that one man's favorite might just not fit the style of anothers. I guess one question I should ask is if you've ever spent time casting and fishing a St. Croix Legend Elite. Between myself and a salt water-nut friend of mine this particular rod won-out, for the both of us, over every other 10 weight cast in three days at the Charlotte fly show a couple years ago.
Reading other posts of yours I think I recall you saying several times to try rods out before making a decision.
Not to rain on youir parade but geez.... give a guy a break here okay? FYI, I also own or owned pre-Shimano 4, 5, 7 and 9 weight GLX's (complete with graphite scrims!), Scott S3S, 'G's and S3's as well as several Winston BIIx's and am soon to add a Winston BIIM or two and I've yet to break a rod.

All's I'm saying is the Elite is a very good rod that I've priced right for the Gent.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:39 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Re: looking for a 10wt for saltwater

Since TB referenced his venue as the glades and his target tarpon,big permit et al and his price point 370...my suggestion was heavy salt old and used because price quality for purpose intended...the rods I've used and use in salt are for the most part older, heavier sticks which I wrapped to save money and purchased when they were last year's model...exception TCR 9 and 10 which were 390 blanks...whereas the all others were under 180...I would never pay full tilt for any ready made salt Winston Sage or Loomis current models and certainly would never consider paying full tilt for any of the lesser makes current salt models and I sure wouldn't do the 'glades with third world ready mades...that said my POV is not general it's salt in the Keys and Andros and clear water site fishing. It's not usually subtle or delicate...it's get a relatively large fly to the fish in wind...and fight a larger fish in the butt of the rod, exception might high stick a permit early in the fight to avoid a "junk" cut off

If I could have only one rod going after the target speicies of TB in his venue it would be old Sage or old Loomis RPLX 10 or Mega 10 not easy casters like the later models but then in site fishing in heavy salt you are not dredging a stream or lake for 6 hours.. for big fish my 11 RPLX two piece is better than either my 11 or 12 wt XTR three piece but the Winston blanks are much easier casters. The current salt models of sage loomis, winston, scott orvis st croix are much easier casters but IMHO not worth two to three times the price of the oldsters for TB's intented purpose...now TB gets a good used oldster for $200...he got and extra 170 to add to his reel budget and spend on a reel such as a used early model Tibor Riptide or early model Abel 4N Big Game solid back.. put an old riptide or 4N on a Mega 10 or RPLX 10 you've got back up push pole, and fish priest...

As the fly shop where I trade has essentially all makes and their respective salts 8-12...I too have "lawn" casted the current salt models. If I had a flats boat in FLA or an 8' bed pickup in FLA(carry the rods in 3'' PVC pipe case) my choice would be two rod blanks...the 9' 10 and 12 wt Loomis one piece
PS Jacks by your post age of 57 and your statement that you have been fly fishing for over 50 years you certainly have fly seniority over me since I only started serious saltfly 'bout 35 years ago
Old 12-30-2007, 11:13 PM

Re: looking for a 10wt for saltwater

Gentlemen,

I sure did not want to offend anybody or cause a ruckus.

I have fished St. Croix rods, I currently own a Loomis GLX 9' 9wt. (pre-Shimano)2pc. My 8wt. is a semi-custom on a lamiglas GF108-8 blank 2pc. I have 2 7wts. 1 is a Bass Proshops White River brand 2pc. the other is an old orvis that I picked up from a family friend. my 5wt. is a cabellas combo that I picked up for $150.00.

I was posting to get EVERYBODIES input. buying a fishing pole, gun, or bow is like trying on a pair of shoes, what fits one person dosnt nescessarily fit another. I appreciate Both of your inputs and am looking forward to others input as well.

Not to side with anyone, BF41 has a valid point, wether I am in the "glades", keys, bahamas, or fishing here in N. bay I need to have a rod that is going to handle reds, snook, tarpon, bones, permit,... etc. when I do make my purchase there will be several factors that will come in to play.

Like I said earlier in this post, it all comes down to the feely touchy game.