The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 11:40 AM

trout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura abouttrout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura about
Default new addict

Hello everyone

Just joined up and wanted to say hey. Have recently picked up the sport of fishing after being away from it for years. First year fly fishing and already I know this will be a hard hobby to have to shelf for the winter months. In the matter of one month I have grown completely addicted to fly fishing, and can't seem to get out enough to quench the thirst that has begun.

The start of this year when I picked up my fishing license I had no plans on learning how to fly fish, but after going out numerous times with buddies who were out-fishing me and my spinning gear setup 5-1 I decided that if I couldn't beat them I would have to learn how to join them. After some early frustration and many helpful tips from friends and from threads found on this forum I have learned the basics and have begun catching fish (and plenty of them) with my new fly gear. It really is hard to put into words the feeling you get when you hook up your first fish with a dry fly. At that moment I knew that I was hooked and that no prescription of medication would be able to relieve me from this addiction called a sport.

Anyway, don't mean to ramble, but wanted to say hey, and to thank everyone for all the useful tips and knowledge I've gained from reading numerous threads on this site.

Looking forward to removing the rookie status I currently hold when it comes to the art of fly fishing.

Ian
Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: new addict

Welcome to FFAA. Fly Fishing Addiction Anonymous.
The thing is that it gets worse.

Be safe and Tight lines.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ian: Great to have you on the forum and congrats for trying out fly fishing, you will find that it is a wonderful way to pursue fish. As you have found, having someone teach you the basics first hand really steepens the learning curve. Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures. Just realize that the forum doesn't allow you to upload photos from your computer directly into a post, you first must load them into a photo album or gallery and then use that link to put them in a post. An optional method would be to put your photos on a website like photobucket and then link from there.

Ian: I forgot to ask what type of fish do you have available locally?

Larry

Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM

trout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura abouttrout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura about

Main targets here on PEI are brook and rainbow trout in creeks, small rivers, and ponds. Still learning about the different runs in my area but we do have some waters that take on quite a fleet of salmon and sea trout during certain times of the year. This is where having buddies in the area that have been at it a lot longer becomes priceless.

So far I have enjoyed a lot of success catching brook and rainbow trout in the 6-10" range. Biggest fish landed was a 1/2 lb brookie that fought like a whale. Still waiting for something bigger to grab on to my fly, but have no problem passing the time and working on technique with the smaller guys. Hoping that by the time something bigger comes along I will have improved my skills enough to have a chance at landing it.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.

here's my first catch as a fly fisherman
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice! Keep working on your technique and before long you will be into the big guys.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Welcome! Hope you have a lock on your wallet
Old 07-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Welcome! Hope you have a lock on your wallet
and on your credit card too.... to this great forum
Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The beauty of hearing from someone who is just starting out is refreshing to say the least! Sometimes I know that I give advice that comes off as 'matter of fact' and perhaps even a little jaded having been at the thing for a long time. You can rest assured that the excitement does not wear off, it may become common place to catch fish but the very act of being outdoors often opens so many doors to new observations and discoveries that this may be the best thing you ever got into.

It was for me,

Ard

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the intro!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum and the addiction. I haven't picked up my spinning gear in probably 2 year. Its a full blown addiction now. Eventually you will start looking at your pets and wonder "I wonder what I can tie up with a little bit of hair from Rover?" You'll find yourself planning vacations that will allow you to get just a little time on the water. Out of nowhere you will have amassed a collection of casting and tying videos. Its AWESOME!

Ian (yes I am an Ian too)
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Welcome to the addiction.