The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Live bait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue View Post
Anybody ever use tiny live or pieces of live baits when fly fishing?
When fishing Cedar Cr., a small tributary to the North Fork of the Shenandoah, in Middletown, VA, I found monster smallmouth feeding exclusively on these huge 1" wide X 6" hellgrammites. I didn't have any flies that would interest them, so I netted a few hellgrammites and added them to a black wooly bugger. I caught 5 smallmouth that were over 3 lbs and one was an easy 4+. It was worth it... There, I admitted it and the healing can now begin.

I stopped by Harry Murray's shop in Edinburg, VA and told him about not having a fly and he introduced me to his lead eye patterns: Strymph and Swimming Hellgrammite. In the right conditions, that is moderately swift water, cobblestone river bottom and the presence of hellgrammites and these patterns will outfish anything.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:

Also, with floating lines is it possible to use wet flies, by adding some sort of weights to push down the line?

Thanks, GB
On the first question, No is the answer. I bait fish occasionally, but never have with a with a fly rod. I recently thought it might be a good way to teach someone how to fight a big fish on a fly rod--hooking a carp on corn isn't too hard and then you can learn to handle a fish with the long rod. A newbie flyfisherman might be waiting for a while before they get a chance with a big fish on an actual fly.

The second question is part of an eternal debate. Weight the fly? use split shot? (or both?) invest in sinking lines? I recently got myself a sink tip for my floating line.... and soon had the loop connection fail and the thing fly off forever lost into the depths.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's just wrong.

Quote:
Also, with floating lines is it possible to use wet flies, by adding some sort of weights to push down the line?
Try experimenting. See what happens.

Dennis
Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm glad Mosca broke the ice. I was biting my tongue a bit there, not so much to the OP but some of the other comments. Fly fishing to me is just that fishing a fly, not a rubber worm, not a fly dipped in attractant and not garden hackle. Then it becomes fishing with a fly rod, I don't go into the woods with a cross bow and call it bow hunting. Call it splitting hairs or being a purist just don't call baiting or doping a fly fly fishing. Rant over I'll go crawl back under my purist rock now.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:27 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

When I first started using a fly rod it was actually with grubs. It was deadly. Simple roll cast, no weight, and I could pound the stocked trout. Interesting enough, I used flies on a spinning rod (11' noodle rod) before I used them on my fly rod. After a while, pounding 40 fish a day with grubs on a fly rod bored me, so I started using some of the flies that I used on my spinning noodle rod on my fly rod (novel idea, I know). Success was limited but I found that I could catch fish on the fly rod with flies and evolved to the point that I only fished flies, which I do now many years later. My point, it got me started using a fly rod... but it ain't fly fishing.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:01 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I actually DO use live bait presented on a bare hook using the fly rod for one thing - the stocked trout in the local lake each spring.
Those fish are doomed (the water gets far too warm for the trout to survive the summer), they are stocked to encourage the purchase of fishing licenses and attract people to fishing, they are intended to be caught and taken home for consumption, and the fly rod is a very good method (my favorite) to present the bait to the fish.
It's legal, and as far as I'm concerned ethical (just as ethical as using any other type of tackle to catch a mess of trout).

I also hunt with a crossbow in archery season! It's legal, and I might add if you ever actually shoot/hunt with a crossbow you will soon see they are just another way to launch an arrow - and the arrow is still subject to the same laws of gravity as any other arrow launched with any other type of bow!

Summary:
Worm on a hook attached to a fly, spincast, baitcast, or spinning rod and cast into the water = fishing.
Arrow launched from a longbow, recurve, compound, or crossbow at game = bowhunting.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This post is not to disparage anyone or any sort of fishing but to remind readers that this forum is called The North American Fly Fishing Forum. The majority of persons who consider themselves fly fishers use traditional fly fishing tackle and their lures are constructed using bits of feathers - furs - and other materials including synthetic types. These 'materials' are wound around the shank portion of a hook meant to represent insects and or bait fishes and their eggs. These 'flies' are cast using a fly rod and line in a fashion that relies on the heft of the line to propel the nearly weightless offerings into the water and to waiting fish. Although there are other definitions of Fly fishing this is what I put forth to the forum. For the definition I'll rely on writings describing the method of fishing the artificial fly that have become part of the record over the past 450 years.

Before this thread becomes a back and forth about what constitutes fly fishing and what does not I am going to lock the thread and ask that we put the matter to rest.

Respectfully,

Ard stetts

Flies;

Click the image to open in full size.

Fish with artificial fly (streamer) in mouth;

Dry Fly;

Fish with dry fly stuck in mouth;

I'm done, let's let this one go fellas..............................
wt bash likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Closed Thread