The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 06:02 AM

goblue is on a distinguished road
Default Live bait?

As a newbie, I'm learning much here and have many questions. Here's a couple:

Anybody ever use tiny live or pieces of live baits when fly fishing?

Also, with floating lines is it possible to use wet flies, by adding some sort of weights to push down the line?

Thanks, GB
Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Live bait?

You will take some hits over the bait thing for sure

I fish wets on floating line every time I go fishing, no need to "push the line down". You're gonna do yourself a huge favor if you check at your Public Library to see if they have a copy of, 'Fly Fishing' by Tom McNally. If so check it out and read the book, it will help you to understand so much about this. The book is old (circa 1978) but the information is timeless.

Whatever you do, please stay with us and post your questions. Getting hold of a book like the one I suggested will really help you a bunch but the members here will help you also.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Back when I was a kid I'd fish a worm on my fly rod.
It wasn't unusual and everyone that I knew at the time that fished with a fly rod did the same thing on occasion. And not just kids.
I don't think you'll find too many folks that do that now though.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Anybody ever use tiny live or pieces of live baits when fly fishing?
A lot of people start out using a fly rod that way, either because they are young and can't really cast the fly, or don't have the confidence in the fly alone.

One of my buddies I fished with as an early teen started out that way but within a season or two he switched to nothing but flies. Since then, he's caught more Atlantic salmon than anyone I know, and probably more out of the Brewer side of the Bangor salmon pool (when it was still there) than anyone alive.

Once you start hooking up with fllies, every other way seems second best.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM

goblue is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your responses, everybody!

Actually I started flycasting 65 years ago as a youngster with an uncle. We fished for smallmouth bass as we waded along the beach of Saginaw Bay near Port Austin, Mi. Never used a fly. (I think that was done mostly by trout flyfishermen.) We used a spinner with a porkrind trailer and did pretty well. Also, back in those days the reel retrieve was with the right hand, whereas now it is with the left hand for us righthanders. However, I stopped fishing eons ago, but now am disabled to a point where there is no more golf or other outdoor activities for me. So I said, what the heck, never give up, find something! Fishing has become that something and particularly fly. Can't use boats, so canals, ponds and shorelines along Lake Okeechobee, Fl, are my venues. Starting to have fun . Look forward to exchanging stuff on here--info for me and probably laughs at me for you.

GB

Oh and Hardyreels, I've read all sorts of stuff to begin with and am finding forums like this are the places to continue my ongoing education. Incidentally, I bought and am using as my fishing "bible" the LL Bean book on flyfishing. Terrific resource!

Last edited by goblue; 07-19-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: fix salutation
Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi GB,As Ard has said you might cop a bit of Flack as Fly Fishing & Bait Fishing doesn't Rythmmme.
Again as Ard has mentioned Floating Lines are used for Wet Fly Fishing,to get The Flies down I'd rather add weight in The Body of a Fly or use Bead Heads,Split Shot can be used however you have to be careful not to hit The Rod with them as it can & usually does damage The Rod.
Brian.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I think Nick Adams used live bait with a fly rod, so you have Hemingway on your side. If people pick a fight, I think Hemingway is a good guy to have backing you up It's all about how you want to fish, if it's legal then go for it. I don't use live bait personally but don't get offended if others do as long as it's legal.

Welcome!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

some of us still use the Pflueger Medalist reels too. I do use flies but on occasion I will use a little 'scent' on a fly to get rid of my 'stink'. IMO, flies, rubber, spinners, small hard baits, are all good to go. Whatever floats your boat. I love my fly rods.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Im not a live bait guy, but I have tossed the occasional senko with a fly rod.

Pay no attention to the purists who think you should be condemned to flyfishing purgatory because you toss something other than a fly.

A fly rod is simply just another tool to deliver a bait/fly/lure to trick a fish into biting your presentation.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

It has been a while since I have done so, but I used to keep a bare hook in my fly box to put the occasional beetle or hopper on to see the fish's reaction to certain bugs. Amazing to see them attack a live beetle after ignoring many flies. After that I would try to tie the same bug at home for future use.