The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 05:29 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Short Trip Report - Montana 2012

I was out in Montana fishing with a few friends, one of whom is Gary Borger. Gary taught me to fly fish 31 years ago and we have been friends ever since. My trip and Gary's crossed for a couple of days.

We stayed at the Greenlee "guest lodge" just above the Raynold's Pass Bridge.

Click the image to open in full size.

The fishing god's gave us a great the day before Gary arrived. Both Gene and I landed trout numbering in the high teens. A storm blew in on Gary's first fishing day with use

Here are a few photos:

We hiked upstream with fog rising from the Madison:

Here is Gary taking photos of a fish. Gene and I call this the Glory Run for the huge fish that spooled Gene several years ago. Then the next day, I took first cast in the same pool and the same fish spooled me. We never saw the fish but having caught 20 inch fish in this area before, we figure the fish was north of 2 feet.

Gary casting :

Gary at the Colonel's Pool:

The Three Amigos:

Two fish that fell for my sunken ant. I was fishing a dry ant with a sunken dropper ant. Both fish passed on the dry ant and took the sunken ant.

A twig I snagged with Hydropsychidae (net builders) caddis larvae:

Gene with a nice brown

Hope you all had some time to fish as well.
Rip Tide and cpiercem like this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 07-23-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Removed Blog link that is not a business member here.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:37 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Short Trip Report - Montana 2012

Silver, looks like a great trip! Jealous that you get to fish with Gary, I had the pleasure of talking with him for a few brief minutes at the hotel in Somerset after the show last year. That water looks very fishy, and the browns being hoisted seem to prove that! I gotta get out West... And by the way, that is one heck of an ant pattern! I bet the grayling here in Sweden would gobble them up, if only I could find the right water and some rising fish...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I did miss your posts here and now I see that you were away on an excusable absence I'm not familiar with that stretch of the Madison but will agree that one can catch some nice trout in the river at large. It looks like you had a good time and I can appreciate the joy of meeting up with old friends for some time at a river. Great report Silver,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Silver: Great trip report and photos, thanks for sharing!

Larry
Old 07-19-2012, 09:38 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Nice trip report Silver, thank you! Looks like water level is pretty good there. Put a pair of spectacles on Mr. Borger and he could pass for David Letterman! milt.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:00 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Thumbs up for that! Looks like an epic trip.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Short Trip Report - Montana 2012

Great looking place! And only Milt could make Gary Borger into David Letterman! Haha! I'm envious!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-19-2012, 10:52 PM

branjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for the excellent report and pictures!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:01 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

thanks for the report. Madison river is in my bucket list.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 PM

jimspeaker is on a distinguished road

Great report and photos. Nice fish. And, a great time with quality folks. Do fishing trips get better?

By the way, I love the sunken ant pattern as well as the fact that it was being nailed as a dropper from the floating ant. You were working it properly, I must say. Nice work.

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
http://fishing.smarttripmap.com