The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Time to laugh at ourselves

I was in Iowa recently and fished several evenings at the outlet of Saylorvile Lake dear Des Moines. A lot of people were there, and, of course, I'm the only one with a fly rod.

One guy, spinning rod in hand, takes a good look at me flinging and false casting away and, with a twinkle in his eye, summed up our sport this way:

"Lotta work!"

It was a really cool place to fish because that place attracted all kinds of people. There were at least three or four different languages, different ethnic groups, kids everywhere (outfishing everyone, of course)--all of us in our own way trying to enjoy ourselves and hook the big one.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:41 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Time to laugh at ourselves

"lotta work"

What you put in, you get out
Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough

That's one reason I miss Iowa. Real laid back poeple who don't need a lot of words to get across what they want to say.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

Yep! (needed more letters for min requirement)
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post

What you put in, you get out

This time, it didn't actually work that way. The fishing was bad all around, but I did see some carp swirling. There wasn't any way to sight fish for them in the murky water, though, and stripping flies was producing nothing.

One evening, after a tiring day of research, I decided to relax and got out the spin outfit instead. Baited up with some corn, and sat on the bank all lazy-like. Eventually, I got one of those big boys in, and let him go.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about that.
If I'm surf casting my 10wt into the teeth of a 25knot wind. That's a lotta work.
But if I'm just flicking a dry fly into some runs and pockets.... not so much
In fact it's pretty dam easy.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I don't know about that.
If I'm surf casting my 10wt into the teeth of a 25knot wind. That's a lotta work.
But if I'm just flicking a dry fly into some runs and pockets.... not so much
In fact it's pretty dam easy.
Guess it all depends, but I agree, Rip. I bought my daughter a little spinning rod combo, the zebco style thumb click and zing caster. She's only 4 but always asks if she can go fishing with me. Anyway, a couple weeks ago we were camping and we of course brought her rod and she wanted to fish. So I rigged it up and tied a prince nymph on under a bobber. Then the hard part...I couldn't remember how to cast that dang thing!! Click the button, hold and chuck and release at the right moment or you get something a lot worse than a tailing loop! I did figure it out after a couple tries, but man it was awkward.

She get's one summer with it, and next year it's on to a fly rod!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:57 PM

jimspeaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
This time, it didn't actually work that way. The fishing was bad all around, but I did see some carp swirling. There wasn't any way to sight fish for them in the murky water, though, and stripping flies was producing nothing.
When Carp are the best option to put a big-ass bend in the rod I like to fish about a #8 chocolate/olive bugger and do the strip a few times and drop so it creates a mud-puff presentation... taught line after the drop and wait 5-10 seconds, they'll often pluck it from the mud. Strip a few more times... repeat.

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
http://fishing.smarttripmap.com