The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 AM

redwing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's wrong with people.?! Praying for the families of the CO movie theater shoo

I pray for all the victims and the families who lost their love ones.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's wrong with people.?! Praying for the families of the CO movie theater shoo

My prayers are for the victims and famlies caught up in this horrific event.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just two or three thoughts...

Tens of thousands of homicides are commited in this country each year, but only these sort of incidents get much attention. It's sad that this happened, and while I can feel bad for those involved, it won't do them much good. "Sorry for your loss" is nice to say, I suppose, but it never feels adequate for the amount of suffering.

When you notice a family member or friend acting strange, intervene. I don't recall all of the behavior leading up to the Columbine shooting, but those two guys weren't right, and people noticed. Who knows how much or how little it would have taken to defuse those guys before they went psycho.

It's very fortunate that there weren't any copycat incidents this weekend (!!!!!!).

I had a package arrive from Aurora, CO the day before this incident (ebay), and I was wondering where in the heck Aurora was. I know now.....

I'm neither pro-gun, nor anti-gun, and I own firearms. Movie theaters kind of make me paranoid, especially when we go to see a movie such as the one in Aurora. They hold a lot of people, are dark, and offer little chance of a hasty exit. I just signed up for netflix.....

I hope nobody is offended by my comments. As I said, they are just the thoughts I had after this incident. People can become very emotional after this sort of thing, and easily upset by otherwise harmless remarks.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:33 PM

flyfishsean is on a distinguished road

it kind of makes me sick when people do stuff like this. I just cant think why in the world you would want to take out all your anger and frustration on innocent defenseless people.

Ill never understand why anyone would shoot up a bunch of people at a public place. or at a school. I hate reading about school shootings the most. its disgusting.

To anyone hurt in the Colorado shootings i will pray for you. im sorry such a sad event had to happen to you.

Sean Scott
Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Just two or three thoughts...

It's sad that this happened, and while I can feel bad for those involved, it won't do them much good. "Sorry for your loss" is nice to say, I suppose, but it never feels adequate for the amount of suffering.
I work at one of the hospital where the victims went and drive by the theater everyday. Today was a rough day after a rough weekend. I was supposed to be working that night but was sick and now feel a good bit of guilt that one of my colleagues had to experience the trauma of that night for me. I agree with you that feeling bad and expressing sorry is not adequate for the loss, but nonetheless I encourage people to express these feelings and concerns. There is nothing that can make what happened better or make it go away or erase the trauma (physical and emotional) that the people in the theater and their family and friends have experienced. What happened was wicked and evil and many will carry it for their whole lives, including the first responders and medical personnel that cared for them. I carry memories of trauma cases that I know will never leave me, and many victims, families, and care-givers were scarred for life early Friday morning. And you are right, words do seem somehow inadequate.

But, and this is a big but, the instinct within people to reach out and express care and concern is invaluable and is something very sacred and powerful within us as a human race. The way people in this community, nation, and world have expressed care, love, sorrow, grief, and anger is meaningful and it does support those who have been hurt and who continue to hurt. Many didn't know where Aurora, CO was before Friday, yet still they reach out to people they don't know. There is something amazing about that. A word, a touch, a smile, a card seem to pale in comparison to the pain and grief but they are still important. Don't let the inadequacy of support stop you from offering it, it often can do a lot of good.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:09 AM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

This was the second time in my life that I woke within 10 miles of a shooting spree. The first was Dunblane and now Aurora. I was on a rig just outside of Aurora and in fact was in the city shopping that evening.
No prayers from me but my deepest sympathy to all affected.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

My thoughts,Prayers & Best Wishes go out to everyone affected by this horrible event,like many others here,being a Hunter,A Shooter as well as A Fly Fisherman it's sad to hear some nut has acquired a Firearm who should never have had one & caused all this carnage.
Brian.