The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 AM

enjaku is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Organization

The further I go into this pursuit the more flies I seem to collect. My little type-A personality wants to somehow organize all of those flies, but I'm at a loss as to what is the best method. Do people put midges and nymphs in one box, dries in another, streamers and such in yet another? I suppose you can carry several boxes with you in your vest or pack. Are there better boxes for the various types of flies, e.g., one that suites small nymphs better than larger streamers? Dries?
eric
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly Organization

There's definitely a bunch of different answers and personal idiosyncracies for this question! personally, I have one large box which holds my larger streamers and poppers, a smaller box for small streamers and wet flies, a similar sized box for nymphs and dries, and a small 10-sectioned magnetic-bottomed box for my confidence flies for trout fishing (which combines mostly nymphs and dries with some wet flies/soft hackles). Also, if I know I'm going to be going somewhere where I'll be using streamers but don't want to drag along the big streamer box, I'll pull the ones I'll be using out and stick them in the foam inside my chestpack. The divided, magnetic bottomed box is about as thick as a CD case and about the size of an index card, it's definitely my favorite for carrying about my confidence flies. I tend to call it my "spring creek box," but it certainly sees use at more than just the local spring creek.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-20-2012, 10:54 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjaku View Post
The further I go into this pursuit the more flies I seem to collect. My little type-A personality wants to somehow organize all of those flies, but I'm at a loss as to what is the best method. Do people put midges and nymphs in one box, dries in another, streamers and such in yet another? I suppose you can carry several boxes with you in your vest or pack. Are there better boxes for the various types of flies, e.g., one that suites small nymphs better than larger streamers? Dries?
eric
Mine are currently set up this way: A big box of streamers, a small one of flies pertinent to the place I last fished, a box of dry flies and nymphs, and a box of warmwater flies (more bass-oriented).

It'll soon look like this:

The streamer box will have several nymphs cause I got the wrong box out of my vest when I switched flies, there'll be a buggers in the dry flies because I was too lazy to get the streamer box out, and there'll be several others mixed in because when I decided to clear off the drying patch, I put everything in one box rather than sort them out into the right boxes.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:05 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yeah, that sounds about right... every few outings my fly patch starts looking like another fly box...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I feel your pain and much like you I have a complex about keeping them organized...Dries, Nymphs, Midges, Streamers/Terrestrials, and Misc (for the ones I tie/buy that have no room to go anywhere else)

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 PM

jimspeaker is on a distinguished road

ghocevar has it right (in my type-a mind)...

Here's how I do it, for what fits in my vest:

Two dry boxes (small C&F boxes), one with caddis dries and emergers, also contains my attractors i.e. small stimulators, humpies, renegades. Another small C&F box with my mayfly dries, because man there are a lot: baetis adults and emergers, PMDs, mahoganies, epeorus, callibaetis emergers and spinners, the standards (adams in various colors and sizes), trico spinners (male and female), and I'm forgetting some that are in there.

One chock-full C&F nymph box that contains various sizes of pheasant tails, midges, prince nymphs, caddis pupa of various sorts, stonefly nymphs, etc.

And a big streamer box that contains what will work for that sort of water. I actually have several streamer boxes and they contain the flies that are basically categorically correct for the type of fishing. For example, my "Alaska" streamer box also contains my mouse patterns because it's a big box and that's the box they fit in.

Oh, and each of these boxes has all those flies next to each other based on type of fly and sorted down by size... so a row in the box would contain, say, pheasant tails starting at size 14 and going down to 20... I try to stay stocked at 3-each.

Um. Yeah, I'm nuts (too...)

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
http://fishing.smarttripmap.com
Old 07-21-2012, 09:07 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Just sat down and did some reorganization last night. When I fish different places and different times of year I need different flies. I'd been carrying around a box of green and brown drakes and hex flies from when I was out in Michigan last month and they weren't doing me a ton of good here in Colorado.

I store my extra flies in large plastic containers, but when I fish I usually carry five boxes.

* A large two sided box for nymphs, a few streamers, and some larger parachute dries.

* A small midge box with mainly nymphs and emergers

* A small plastic compartment box with small hackled, comparadun, and caddis dries, 18's down to 20's.

* My small stream box. One side has nymphs and a few small streamers, and the other has compartments with medium sized dries including some larger stimulators.

* A medium sized plastic compartment box with my hoppers, beetles, and ants.

In terms of what boxes are best, with the exception of some parachute patterns I now store my dries in compartments rather than on foam. I've ruined enough hackle flies sticking them into foam. The downside of these boxes is that the flies can get tangled, but the hackle remains in good shape.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:43 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

So I try to carry one primary box that covers most of the water I fish. It is one of those Scientific Anglers boxes with clear covers and holds a scad of flies. I keep it organized as such

Cover page: Copper Johns, Hot Wire Princes, Prince Nypmhs, PT, Hares Ears

Page 2 all my dries. BWO,Adams,PMD,EHC
Page 3 is emergers to match the dries, Barr Emerger, Caddis emerger ,RS2 ets etc
Back Cover is all midges

That box covers 99% of all fishing. Then I carry 1 smaller box with San Juan Worms. Xwing Caddis, Yellow Stimulator, Coachmen , Hoppers, ants.

Then finally I carry one of those little plastc containers for flies from fly shops with 4 or 5 streamers.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Organizing and reorganizing my flies is one of my favorite non fishing pastimes. I recently found a type of fly box i really like so i am slowly switching over all my flies to the new boxes.

Umpqua UPG fly box
Old 07-21-2012, 11:04 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

I can't put hem all in here, but I have enough for a while stored in here, all together in one place.
Cliff Outdoors - The Super Days Worth

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur