The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpbfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 PM

jimspeaker is on a distinguished road
Default I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself.

Hello all. Jim Speaker here.

The only fly fishing forum I've been active on prior to recently joining this one is a washington flyfishing forum that originally started as an email list-serv... and yeah I was haunting that too (not lurking).

I started fly-fishing when I was 11 years old. In the same short timeframe my grampa taught me to tie flies at the kitchen table on a thompson model-a, and he took me out to the back lawn a few times and taught me the standard overhead cast and a rollcast. After that it was all up to me, the thompson model-a he bought me, and what I could buy from Patrick's Fly Shop with my allowance... fly-rod twist-tied to my 10-speed frame and boxes of usually shabbily tied flies, oh and a journal because he insisted that was the only way to ever know what's going on... and the teen years progressed with me fishing local streams, rivers, stillwaters, etc.

These days, in my early 40s, I fish almost exclusively for trout, and delight in local waters where specific patterns are dialed into the insects present in them. I love to match hatches, but am never ashamed to have an indicator and some heavy-ass nymphs digging deep into the holes when that's the game.

Anyways, I think I've been on this forum oh maybe a couple weeks now and am really enjoying the folks and conversation here. So, the time had come to say, HOWDY! And, thank you.

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
http://fishing.smarttripmap.com
Old 07-20-2012, 10:57 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself.

Welcome to the forum Jim, this is a great bunch of people here. Good to have you on board.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimspeaker View Post
...and boxes of usually shabbily tied flies...
Welcome to the forum.

By the way. It's usually a shabbily tied fly that catches most of the fish.

Dennis
Old 07-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jim: Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Jim....agree with Dennis about flies
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Dennis that some of my ugly files remain productive to some trout.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Welcome Jim.

There are at least a couple of us who are also members of WFF. I am from just south of the Columbia in the far west metro area.

I know Fred Evans from down on the Rogue is also a member.

Lots of great guys on this forum with a ton of info to share.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:54 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vans View Post
Welcome Jim.

There are at least a couple of us who are also members of WFF. I am from just south of the Columbia in the far west metro area.

I know Fred Evans from down on the Rogue is also a member.

Lots of great guys on this forum with a ton of info to share.
I be here; and on the Rogue for the past week (old, as in older than dirt) friend from Portland. Sunday-Wednesday ... ZIP, NADA, NOTHING (well, I had two 'long range releases) and then Thursday AM. We couldn't keep them off .... 12 on the beach, save for one (dinner on the BBQ) all natives.

'Shooting fish in a barrel' sort of thing.
Don't ask about Friday ..... Four of us on the run and not a touch between us; go figure?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jim,

Glad to have you posting with us.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 PM

jimspeaker is on a distinguished road

Thanks all!

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
http://fishing.smarttripmap.com