The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Felt Soles and other wading gear

I know that this has been discussed a lot, but I would like to give you the method I have been using to have safe gear.

Felt soles take a long time to dry and can carry pathogens of all kinds. ANY gear that isn't fully dry can also be a carrier, from shoelaces to leather uppers.
So what do we do?

First off, I don't think it needs to be legislated, but it does need to be educated.

I quit using felt quite a while ago, but as I have better come to understand the problems involved, I am now back to a limited use of felt soled shoes this year. I am also using a limited use attitude for all of my wading gear....

Here is what I am doing. I have several pairs of felt or other wading shoes and a couple of pairs of waders. If I am in one drainage I use one set there. If I move to a new area to fish, I use a completely different set of shoes and waders. Sometimes I wet wade without waders, but again a new set of pants, socks, and shoes for a new area.

Sometimes I may want to visit more areas before I come home. Even if my stuff is dry, I heat up some water and bathe my gear in +140 degree water before using it.

When I get home, or sometimes in camp if I know I am moving on, I clean and hot water treat all my wading shoes and gear and then let them dry again. That way, even if the aren't completely dry, I know that they are good to go.

Anyone else doing something similar?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Felt Soles and other wading gear

Well, I got rid of all felt, wearing rubber with cleats...and if I fish where there are nasties I freeze my gear for a minimum of 24 hrs (after it's dry) to kill everything. I do have friends who have gear for certain infested waters only that they don't use elsewhere, and I like that idea.

-Mike
Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

I had gotten rid of my felt too. Then as I was visiting a second creek on a trip I was on I found myself hot water treating my rubber soled boots. I then came to the conclusion that, if wet they were no different than the felt soled. So I have now picked up a couple of pairs of felts as they are less expensive, and I just treat them or use them in one creek only on a trip.

The felt is sure better on nasty slick rocks.

I guess my point is that, I think felt or rubber is ok as long as it is treated. The same goes for any of our other wet equipment.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Part of what I wanted to bring out is that you can and sometimes should treat your stuff in the field.

I frequently am on trips of several days, and I like to explore different areas of creeks and rivers. There is no time for anything to dry completely, or to be treated at home with freezing etc.

If my boots are, felt soled, rubber soled, or crocs it is all just about the same if they are wet and I want to fish another creek. I know that there must be others out there too that go on trips to multiple waters. Even if your boots are rubber, they are carriers if they are wet.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use different wading boots for the Madison vs my home state. All are felt soled. I recently bought a pair of rubber soled wading boots should I ever fish a location that requires them by law.

Rubber vs felt is a safety vs invasive issue. In my view there is no rubber boot made that is the equal of felt for best overall grip over many substrates. Several states have recognized that fact in that they exempt state and federal employees from their recreational felt sole ban. I have discussed this double standard on another post.

I figure that if trained county EMT's and federal forest service personnel need felt soles for their own safety, an over-the-hill fly fisher would be stupid to decide that anything less that felt is sufficient for his safety.

Raise Your Hand if Your State Banned Felt Boots

Motivations for banning felt soles?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
Part of what I wanted to bring out is that you can and sometimes should treat your stuff in the field.
And it's a good point. I know in central Ca one can move easily and quickly from infested to (supposedly) non infested waters in an afternoon. I avoid those waters unless they are last to fish in the trip. I have NOT treated my gear away from home and hope to keep that record intact.