The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 PM

johnnysdg will become famous soon enough
Default Refurbished Orvis Helios Rods worth Buying?

I was in an orvis outlet store and they had some helios rods for about $325 that are refurbs. They looked perfect. The guy said you dont get the 25 year warranty but I'm thinking you dont pay full price either.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Johnny
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Refurbished Orvis Helios Rods worth Buying?

Hi Johnny,

Just me thinking out loud here but...... Since they are right there maybe ask to take one out to cast it. I have bought rods for that price without casting them but if they are available I'll test drive if I can. Did the sales person explain why they are un warranted? I thinking an Orvis rod is an Orvis rod and telling me they will not stand behind the product sends up a flag. Of course rods get broken by careless use or transport but I have seen them break under normal use conditions as well. Just say'en

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 PM

There was something wrong with them. They could have been broken but they are completely refurbished. They aren't warrantied because of this but the discount is deep.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I guess it's your call on it then. If the deal is sweet enough then............

By the way; welcome to the forum!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-25-2012, 09:32 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Hey John, having just purchased one of these rods, warrantied version, I would jump all over that. At least for myself the rod fits my type/ style of casting, but as Ard said, by all means cast it first to make sure it fits your style. Even at a discounted price it's nothing to sneeze at.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 PM

I did cast one and its like nothing ive ever experienced with a fly rod. It was incredible.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

GET ONE.

It is the best rod I have very casted. Super light, but still with plenty of backbone, and the mid flex can throw out a ton of line. You won't regret getting it.

I've got the 5 wt 9 ft. mid flex and it's my go to rod here in Colorado. For anything from trout, to warmwater, to even carp, it can handle small creek brookies and goliath pellet fed rainbows. It's a great nymph rod, and the light tip is great at presenting delicate dry flies. Again, it's a do it all rod.

Another benefit of this rod is the recoil guides. They won't break or bend them and they are AWESOME when winter fishing. You don't have to be careful about removing ice from your guides. Run your hand up the rod and the guides flex and the ice is gone.

Be sure to pick what works best with your cast though. If you are a slower caster, try the mid flex, or if you are a bit faster or like the "traditional" feel of a tip flex, go with that.

I've used G. Loomis, Sage, St. Croix, and TFO rods, but right now, the Helios is on the top of my list and the only rod that is strung up ready to go for any trip I make to the river.

My Helios has over 90 days on the water this year and it still looks new. For a $700 rod, I really should treat it better, but it's sat in my car in 100 degree heat strung up for days on end this summer and it gets beat bushwacking down deer trails to the river, but it still looks, and more importantly, fishes great.

BTW...where is this outlet you speak of? I might have to get a back up!

Last edited by mcnerney; 07-26-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Edited out the invite to visit his blog!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 AM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

While it is one of the top rods around, the basic question you have to answer is whether you are willing to self insure it and knowing you are going to have to spend twice as much to replace it with a Helios.

Right now you can get 20% off a Helios if you trade in an old rod, which is for a kids benefit. And that includes the normal warranty.

Given that there are a goodly number of high quality rods within dollars of the $325, and which come with a warranty, are you willing to risk an accident the first time you use it.

The Orvis 25 year service coverage (at $30 a pop) includes damage due to stupidity.

I also say that if Orvis refurbished it and is not willing to give some warranty, then I'd pass. I have five Hydros rods (what a shame they discontinued the series), and I love Orvis products (store near by), but personally, I'd pass.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The refurbish rods are great deals. Check to make sure that it is all that. Is it the recoil guides?

Also, check. If it is not warrantied to their 25 year unconditional, does not mean they still won't repair it. It make cost you something is all.

We got several of the top end refurbished rods back when I worked for Orvis. They had burnt an R into the cork. They sold like hot cakes to the guys heading to Alaska. Some of them had different colored wrapping, or reel seat, or guides, but the blank was the same.

As far as Orvis standing behind their product, I think they are doing an excellent job in this case. Giving others on a fixed income a chance to experience the rods with "UP FRONT" warning. Can't get more honest about that.