The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default Trout still around?

The lake I have been fishing get's stocked 3 times through April-May. This lake deepest part is 12ft I was talking to a guy that fishes the lake all the time. Well today the bugs were out and all you saw was thousands of fish just jumping out. I'am wondering that is it possible for this lake to have left over trout. I kinda don't believe it cause the weather been over 103 for the past 2-days and the past 2-weeks it's been in the upper 90's and the lake isn't deep. I'am not able to take a good look of the fish because it's mostly toward the middle of the lake my eyes aren't that good. I was able to get a few good casts in roughly 70ft and finally had one pop on my Grass hopper but missed it. Is it possible to have trout in that lake?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trout still around?

Is the lake fed by springs either via creeks or subsurface?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'm not saying this IS the case, but sometimes on lakes at this time of the year, the blue gills feed on the surface a lot. Without some super careful observation, the 'surface boils' might actually be gills' out feeding on the bugs.

I'd say there are still trout ,,but I'm guessing they are hanging pretty deep if it's as warm there as it has been here.

I watched the surface boils the gills were making on one of our lakes early Saturday morning and thought 'man o' man if that were trout, I'd feel like I'd died and gone to Heaven!' I did have a heap o' fun catching blue gills anyways.

Mike
Old 07-28-2012, 12:59 AM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

William no there is no creek's around. Well I don't think there Gill's feeding but there is possible, I would figure that the Gill would be closer to the edges not in the open water. But now thinking about the guy did say that they are alot crappies in that water, so now that might be the fish. Like I said I did have one pop on my #8 Grass hopper sadly I missed it.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:12 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Egads, man! This answer is not obtained by typing but by angling. Now get out there and catch those fish!

Seriously, I'd say bluegills. If there was a spring somewhere, trout might be able to survive. We have that in a lake here in Kansas--a trout from winter stockings that survived the summer was caught. If you happen to get back there, check the water temperature in that area. If it's cold enough, that would suggest a spring.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:41 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Holdovers look for temprature and oxygen. I fish a series of warmwater lakes that are stocked in early spring. When the heat of summer rolls around the lakes are void of trout. But every one of these lakes are connected to one another thru a series of streams and dams. These lakes were ice ponds back in the depression days and have an old railroad track that winds in and out of each lake. The train would pickup ice at each lake and deliver to the major cities.
By walking along the old railroad bed I can fish the feeder streams of these lakes and they hold quite a population of native brookies and wild browns. When I fish up by the dams I go from catching 6in natives to 18in rainbows, browns and brookies that are holdovers seeking cooler and more oxygenated water. Sadly many of these fish for their size don't have the fight that the little natives have. I'm not sure if it's the struggle to get to the dams or if they just can't adjust from hatchery life.
There is one lake in the middle of the chain that has a series of underground springs and some deep water with feeders. This is the only lake that seems to hold some of the stockers over at these spring holes.
For me the bonus of fishing these dams beside the scenery and wildlife is that beside the holdovers many are stacked up with Smallmouths that are eager to hit any fly tossed their way.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-28-2012, 08:54 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Fly Fishing, the trout flew north for the summer....devil make me do it
Old 07-28-2012, 03:15 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
William no there is no creek's around. Well I don't think there Gill's feeding but there is possible, I would figure that the Gill would be closer to the edges not in the open water. But now thinking about the guy did say that they are alot crappies in that water, so now that might be the fish. Like I said I did have one pop on my #8 Grass hopper sadly I missed it.
There is a lake I know that has hold over stocked trout because there is a spring somewhere on the bottom. Without that it would be too hot. Even if there is no creek there could be something subsurface that keeps part of the lake bottom cool enough on hot days.