The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jpbfly
  • 1 Post By gatortransplant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Rainbow Rescue Operation.

On Thursday I went fishing with my colleague Pierre and his brother who had never seen flyfishing before…he wanted to see how we fish nymph on sight.We fished a little section and were lucky enough to catch a few bows and some chub…a huge one too.He was delighted to locate fish and see them taking the nymph.When we finished fishing the fast section we got to a pool…Pierre immediately located two bows….we caught them and then a lot…the pool had been stocked the day before.In the evening my friend Batistou called me and I made a report of our outing…on Friday he called me again” JP we have something to do about these bows before the weekend,if a “meater” comes to the pool it’ll be a slaughter. I remembered there was a keepnet in my dad’s garage and took it.So this morning we got up early and went to the pool…fortunately nobody was here yet…Batistou had taken a big bin but we finally decided to use the keepnet.We put it in the water a started fishing on nymphs…the numerous bows were not difficult to catch and although we unhooked some we managed to catch around thirty.Everytime there were five or six in fish the net one of us waded downstream with the keepnet in the water and released the trout in the fast section…after a few hours strikes got rare and we could catch a few more on dry…when….a “meater” his wife and his dog( a kind of pitbull) arrived.They were wearing a swimsuit,trainers and carrying two big spinning rods,a picnic basket and a little green bucket used by pike anglers to keep little bait fish…We said hello but he didn’t reply…he got into the water between us and starting casting like mad…he quickly hooked a rainbow he dragged on the bank and put in his bucket…I had a look at Batistou and he understood immediately it was high time for us to go…
lthrnk03 likes this.

Last edited by jpbfly; 07-30-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:41 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rainbow Rescue Operation.

That's some aggressive conservation-minded catch-and-release. I like it!
jpbfly likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JP: Way to go, maybe those rainbows will have a better chance at survival.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Great story JP! Thanks for posting it up.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

lol, well done JP.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys...glad you liked the story...some may say we're a bit crazy...but we really enjoyed ourselves