The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 03:53 PM

flyfishsean is on a distinguished road
Default fly line cleaning

hello all. Im not going to ask another "how to clean fly lines" thread. But i have a bit of an unusual question regarding fly line cleaning. I just got a new RIO fly line and wanted to take care of it.

I watched rio's fly line care are read up on fly line care. I had a bottle of SA fly line dressing left over from the last time i used to fly fish and a umpqua dressing box. I cleaned the fly line with the rio method.

Two buckets with warm (not hot ) water one with soap one with plain water. stripping the line through a clean microfiber cloth between buckets.

Now here is my question. In my readings about fly line cleaning i started reading lots of articles about "dont use detergents or soaps with surfactants." just about every soap has surfactants or is petrolium based. im talking about mild dish soaps here just so we are clear.

RIO recommends a gentle non petroleum, surfactant free dish soap and recommends ivory, but every ivory i have ever found is full of lotions and stuff like that. i thought i would be ok using greenworks dish soap. but right on the back of the bottle it says "full of powerful surfactants"

So here is my question. what does everyone use? Am i over-thinking this? I am just worried because i have a SA saltwater taper line where the coating dried out cracked and became stiff and i washed it with regular dawn and treated it with sa line dressing. but it might also be because that line was taken to north carolina and back and probably wasnt treated the best.

Thanks
Sean Scott
Old 07-29-2012, 04:01 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly line cleaning

I am probably the worst person when it comes to cleaning lines, but when I do, I use Dos Equis. Stay thirsty, my friend.

Seriously, I just soak the line in warm water for awhile (sometimes overnight). Then I dress it.

Dennis
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The only line I'm using right now that requires some maintenance is an Ian Gordon Long belly line. You may want to do the same for your new line; each time I fish it, at about the mid point of the day I dry the line with a paper towel and then pull it through a pad of mucilan. Any dressing will work but wipe it dry to remove dirt and H2o and then coat. If I think of it at days end I do it again so it's ready to go next day. I have to do it if I want the line to float high and to cast well.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct that every soap has or is a surfactant.

The original soap created by the saponification of animal fat by lye, creates a surfactant. That is how they combine with hydrocarbons (oils that are normally insoluble in water) and dissolve them in water. The soap is an emulsifier, allowing the mixing of oily dirt in the water to be lifted and washed off the the fly line.

A mild soap without additives would be a bar of Ivory Soap. Try flaking Ivory Soap and using it to clean the line.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-30-2012, 03:03 PM

redleg155 is on a distinguished road

Ivory soap = good stuff. I'll second that sentiment.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishsean View Post
Am i over-thinking this?
I clean my lines only when when they really need it and when I do get around to it.... they're likely to need it badly.
When they get to that point, cleaning them with anything is better than the alternative of not cleaning them all.
I've always used regular dish detergent and often the same water that the dishes were washed in, and have never noticed that it was ever detrimental to the life of the line. It's not like you do it every day and fly lines take a lot more abuse in a fishing situation then they possibly could with a simple cleaning.
I even have some 15+ year old full sinking lines that I regularly clean with dish soap and the green Scotchbrite pads to remove salt build-up.
No worries