The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 07:24 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Tying for Beginners

Hi guys, as always I am going to the well again to pick your brains for advice. Most of what I know about fly fishing I learned from this forum. I figure, why stop now..

I am looking to get into tying my own flies. I want to start out "REAL" cheap. I want to get a feel as to whether or not this is for me. I supect I'll get "hooked' as easily as I did with actually going out and fishing with a fly rod. It seems like a huge investment of time to learn something that I can replace with a few bucks at the local shop. I just don't know that there will be any more satisfaction from catching a fish on something "I" tied as opposed to something I bought.

I am looking at a Cabela's fly tying kit but want some advice on whether this is worth it. I know sometimes taking the "cheap" route will discourage you due to the lack of quality of the tools you use. I read the reviews and they seem OK, but I value "your" opinions. $40 bucks seems like a minimal amount to take a chance on, but I don't want to do it if this is so inferior of equipment that it will cause me grief and discourage me from going forward with tying my own flies. Any opinions you offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!!!

Jeff
Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 PM

fatguide is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Tying for Beginners

Well if your as cheap as I am, I can understand not wanting to spend a lot to try something you don't know if your going to like to do (dang does that make sense).

The Cabela's kit looks like a great deal to start with to me. The one item that may not serve you well might be the sissors. Sharp sissors are a must. A better vice can always come later.

You might check your local shops to see if they offer classes, or have a "round table" tying session. Lessons are great because they cut the learning curve at least in half. Plus you will meet maybe one person out of the class you can relate to and maybe gain a fishing buddy.

Hope I've helped.

fish or DIE
Old 12-28-2007, 08:58 PM

JagXJ684 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to JagXJ684

I am looking at the exact same fly tying kit from Cabelas and I read all the reviews and I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. It seemed like a good deal and all, so I looked around on Ebay, and i found pretty much the same thing (at least it looks the same) for quite a bit cheaper. One I saw was at the time about $10 w/ $8 shipping, with a few hours to go on the auction. I might try to go that way instead of getting the one from Cabelas, but if anyone has more experience, I'll definitely heed your advice.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 PM

docslytherin is on a distinguished road

i got the cabela's materials kit as a gift earlier this year. it's great. lots of materials to get started with. i had some hand-me-down tools and a vise so i didn't need that whole kit.

the materials are good quality. i've since purchased some whiting hackles and some other better quality stuff, but still use my cabelas kit without hesitation.

john
Old 12-29-2007, 06:32 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

to go on the cheap, try building a kit yourself. since you're just starting, get the material for one fly. for example, an elk hair caddis if you fish dries on mountain streams. you'd need one spool of thread (brown 6x), a small pack of correct elk hair (check with a local fly shop, they often have 2-4 types), a sall pack of correct hooks ($5?), a GOOD vise which will grip (i think the griffin 2A would work fine and grab a tutorial off the internet (you can find videos too). finish your kit off with a hair stacker, a simple thread bobbin and good scissors. if fishing for bass, you could try a bunny leech, very easy to tie. just need some barbell eyes, right hooks, some strips of bunny fur, regular and then cross cut ($5 each?) and thread.

i received a kit for christmas a few years ago. the deluxe umpqua. it has a ton of stuff in it, i'll probably never us. and the vise was terrible i took it back to the shop and they exchange it for a used 2A which was rudimentary compared to other nice viss but it the most important part was it holds the hook extremely well. clamp on style is good to start with.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 AM

Alex Guthrie is on a distinguished road

the starter kit is great - i purchased a Dave Whitlock vcr for beginners and it was really great. just the basics like how to tie a wooly bugger - very easy. i have since built up a lot of inventory (JUNK) but i am totally obsessed.

it's very rewarding and a great way to express yourself.

tight lines

alex
Old 12-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Surfin,

I was going to suggest you get the Standard Tool Set but I don't like the vise as well as the one in the Deluxe set. If it was me I would go to a fly shop that has a vise set up for tying and talk them into tying a fly for you. Watching the process can give you an idea if you really want to try it. Then ask if you can try one. If they give lessons then that is the best route. Have you looked to see if there is a FFF or Trout Unlimited in your area. These clubs can be a great source to learn fly tying. The very best to learn is to find a fly fisher that ties and get him to show you what it is all about. I started fly tying at a Parks and Recreation presentation in Anchorage, Ak.

I have gotten to know you a bit through your post and I suspect you will take to fly tying just like you did fly fishing. I don't recommend that anyone buy a cheap vise to see what it is all about. That is money down the tubes. The best approach is to buy a good vise at the beginning and not waste your money on a cheap vise. The cheapest vise I use to recommend was the Thompson Model A vise. They use to be the best on the market until the rotaries came on the scene. I don't know how well made they are today. The vise in the Cabela's Deluxe set is a copy of the Thompson vise. In fact it is a copy of the original Thompson A vise. I would think the Cabela vise is made overseas. I don't know where the Thompson vise is made, probably overseas also. The problem with the Thompson is it is not a rotary.

If you decide to get the Cabela's kit your next purchase has to be a good book on fly tying. It is the only way to learn by yourself. The next thing you need is the material to tye the flies you are interested in. Eric's suggesting to buy just what you need for one fly is a good one. This way you don't have a bunch of material left over if you decide fly tying is not for you.

I have kind of rambled on here but to answer your question, the Cabela's Deluxe Too Set looks like a good set. The problem is we don't know how well the tools are made.

Cabela's DeLuxe Tool Set
Click the image to open in full size.

Thompson Model A Vise
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Anyone who wants to see if they like to tye flies I suggest you get a Vise Grip and a "C" clamp. Clamp the hook in the Vise Grip and clamp the Vise Grip to a table top with the "C" clamp. The Vise Grip nose holding the hook should be hanging over the edge of the table at a corner. You are now set up to tye a fly. This is the cheapest Vise I know about and it will hold a hook for sure.

Frank
Old 12-29-2007, 04:59 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

hey frank I never thought of that! and trust me I am cheap!!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.