The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 AM

charlie dog is on a distinguished road
Default Sinking Fly Line

I bought some 9wt sinking fly line to fish for walleye and carp in the Mississippi River but really hate casting it. If I cut off the black ten foot sinking tip could I us it like floating line for bass bugs?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sinking Fly Line

If it is a WF line, cutting off the tip may under weight it depending on the length of the head. Better I think to buy a bass bug taper that is forward weighted to cast the wind resistant flies.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-31-2012, 12:18 PM

charlie dog is on a distinguished road

It is wf, but I just spent $39 for the sinking line, and don't think fishing bass in the Mississippi is worth spending for another new line. The problem with the sinking line is that it is darn near impossible to cast unless I reel most of the line back in each time. I also dont like the way the weighted flys feel on te back load. Yes I also wasted a bunch of money on weighted clousers etc. I just though I'd experiment on the river. The heat in Wisconsin as pretty much killed trout fishing, and I dont want to risk stressing the ones left. I guess Ill just cut it off and see how it works.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Instead of cutting it off I would just post it for sale here and then go buy some new line. Its going to cast like pure garbage if you cut the front 10 feet off of it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Its going to cast like pure garbage if you cut the front 10 feet off of it.
I agree. I "customize" my lines all the time but never cut off more than about 8 inches.
Personally, I'd keep the sink-tip for now and get something else.
If you want, you can PM me and I'll give you a link to a shop that sells the $10 factory second lines that I use.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Charlie'

I live in Alaska and in almost all of the fishing I do it is necessary that I get my fly down fairly deep or I will not catch fish. I don't care for sink tips or weighted flies for the same reasons that you have mentioned. almost 20 years ago I began using a product that enabled me to sink a streamer fly but still have good line control and casting ability. That was fishing in North Central Pennsylvania, but I've adapted the same leader designs to Spey lines and Alaskan fishing now. The thread link I am pasting contains a step by step for making a loop connector however if you scroll down to the text below the pictures you will find a description of how I make a sinking leader.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html

I make these in all sizes and use them on rods from 5 weight to 11 weight with good results. I hope this may be useful to you,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a full sink line or a sink tip? I hate sink tips, because it does feel like all the weight is in the sink portion. I ask this because you mention cutting off and using as a floating.
If it is a sink tip, I cut a 15' sink tip back to being a 7 foot and it works better.
If it is a full sink, the whole line sinks, so cutting back wouldn't help.

There is a big casting difference in sink tip and full sink. Full sink is a smaller diameter and for me, easy to cast.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie dog View Post
It is wf, but I just spent $39 for the sinking line, and don't think fishing bass in the Mississippi is worth spending for another new line. The problem with the sinking line is that it is darn near impossible to cast unless I reel most of the line back in each time.
Your post suggest a 10 ft sink tip line and not a full sinking line. 10 feet is the minimum for a sink tip line.

There is another solution, the Roll Cast Pickup. Before cutting the tip off, see if a roll cast pick up brings the sink tip close enough to the surface so that don't need to strip in all the floating section. Roll cast to bring the sink tip up and then go into your regular pick up and cast.

While I am on the subject of ways to pick up the fly, one of the best for the dry fly is the
Click to View Search Results for "C" Pick Up. "C" Pick Up.
It picks up the fly, snaps the water off and then delivers it on the next forward cast without the need for false casting.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy