The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 AM

medic77 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Orvis Superfine 3wt- maybe the best for me

Good point, see these are all things to consider. My take is use the 3wt and break them off before I get my grubby hands on them. Seeing my ugly mug is more stress than the fight. Ha
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic77 View Post
Good point, see these are all things to consider. My take is use the 3wt and break them off before I get my grubby hands on them. Seeing my ugly mug is more stress than the fight. Ha
Well played!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 AM

jimspeaker is on a distinguished road

The Orvis 6 1/2' superfine 2 weight is my small stream rod. It balances perfectly with a Sage 3100 reel, which in itself is almost as much of a joy to hear singing a perfect buzz, as the casting of the beautifully built full flex rod. I love the all-cork grip with rings instead of a standard reel seat.

One caution with these rods: they have a tendency to come a little loose at the ferule causing the top section to ride up the ferule. This can cause the graphite to shatter at the ferule when casting. I'm on my third one because of this. Be sure to apply a little "nose grease" to the ferule when seating the sections together.

I'd recommend spending the little bit of extra dough on the Sage Quiet Taper line - it performs perfectly with that rod.

Loaded with backing, quiet taper line and a sage 3100 the whole outfit weighs just shy of 7 oz.

I've landed up to 20" brown trout in spring creeks on this rod, without taking too much time or overstressing the fish. It's just a matter of realizing that the full flex and light weight is protecting your tippet while you work the **** out of the big fish to bring them in quickly - yeah, the rod turns into a U with a big pig on, just tilt it back, turn their heads, and make them do your will, not theirs.

Two thumbs up to the Orvis super-fine, or "1 oz." -- with the right reel it's a perfectly balanced feather in the hand.

Cheers

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
http://fishing.smarttripmap.com
Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

I throw Wolf Triangle Tapers on all of mine works great
Old 08-01-2012, 05:39 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I have the 8'6" 3wt Superfine Touch. Timing is slower and you can really feel the rod load. You really can cast at short distances accurately. I find the my 9'5wt helios mid flex takes a bit of line to load well...the 7wt tip flex helios takes a lot of line to load it. The superfine has been a real joy to use. I plan on getting a 8'6" 4 or 5wt. I've been considering the scott g2 8'8" 5wt which is a mid-fast flex...but something about the superfine full flex keeps calling me back. I'll use the superfines to fish the bushy, overhung banks of a small spring creek. They'll stay home when I hit the bigger rivers and need the distance to throw big ugly bass flies.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Another big plus of the longer flex's ,,at least a mid flex vrs a tip flex...is how much more you can feel the fish on the line. And to me,,that's what makes my day.

I've never had a full flex..but I think that is about to change ,,esp to fish my 'small streams' with.

Should I put Orvis on my speed dial ? LOL

Michael
Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

fly guy is absolutely right about that bend in your stick. I do fish that superfine full flex on a farm pond to catch bass. And even pan fish are fun with a full flex 3wt.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 PM

jimspeaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
fly guy is absolutely right about that bend in your stick. I do fish that superfine full flex on a farm pond to catch bass. And even pan fish are fun with a full flex 3wt.
And when you do hook into a pig on a full flex, it's kinda fun to have a U for a rod. The beauty is they protect tippet so well you can still land them in a timely manner.

(Oh I'm repeating myself... ugh.)

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
http://fishing.smarttripmap.com

Last edited by jimspeaker; 08-01-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Because I repeated myself... sheesh.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 PM

medic77 will become famous soon enough

Man I am sold. Now the question is if I'm going to add a 3wt to the stable of the 5wt TFO, the 5-6 St. Croix, and 8wt TFO or replace the 5wt with the Superfine. Hmm the question at hand. I loved the feeling of that 3wt.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 AM

paflyboy is on a distinguished road

Hi Medic, my 2 cents here. If you do get the rod, make sure you closely duplicate the line and reel(as stated above). To me, it is the combination of line and rod, along with reel balance, that give a rod it's "feel." Also, unless you need that short of a rod for really tight streams you might want to step up to a 7 1/2 foot rood if you can find one that you like as much. I have both a 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 3 wt rod and I find that the increased line control that the extra foot gives me is significant, even on very small streams. Just my personal observations, you won't be dissapointed no matter what you get! Tight lines.
mojo likes this.