The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 PM

trouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Orvis Superfine 3wt- maybe the best for me

Reactivating this thread.....

I too tried a SF 7'6" 3wt this fall and fell in love with it. My wife and I do a lot of summer hiking in the Rockies. She does not fish and since I am always looking for ways to add fishing days, we often hike to highland lakes. I pack in my gear and she packs in her iPad to read a book after a picnic lunch. I decided that the above mentioned Orvis SF was the rod I needed for those fine little Brookies. Well, guess what my wife got me for Christmas? Yep,the SF with an Orvis CFO II reel already loaded with 3wt line. I guess I'll keep her for another 38 years.
I predict more hiking in 2013,
Roger
Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

I have an older 7'9" 5wt Far n Fine(bought it new) This threads got me thinking of blowing the dust off it this year.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:56 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Orvis Superfine 3wt- maybe the best for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouton View Post
Reactivating this thread.....

I too tried a SF 7'6" 3wt this fall and fell in love with it. My wife and I do a lot of summer hiking in the Rockies. She does not fish and since I am always looking for ways to add fishing days, we often hike to highland lakes. I pack in my gear and she packs in her iPad to read a book after a picnic lunch. I decided that the above mentioned Orvis SF was the rod I needed for those fine little Brookies. Well, guess what my wife got me for Christmas? Yep,the SF with an Orvis CFO II reel already loaded with 3wt line. I guess I'll keep her for another 38 years.
I predict more hiking in 2013,
Roger
That IS the perfect rod for those high altitude little brook trout. With the low flows and warm temps this year, I did a lot of that with my 7'6" 3w Superfine. My wife hikes/explores while I fish.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
I have an older 7'9" 5wt Far n Fine(bought it new) This threads got me thinking of blowing the dust off it this year.
You won't regret it.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM

trouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura about

Ok, I fished my Orvis 7'6" Super Fine 3wt today for the first time since receiving it for Christmas. Let me just say that the name says it all!
I brought it back to TX from my CO condo so that I can try it in our community ponds. They are filled with Bluegill, Sunfish, and a few Large Mouth Bass. This gives me casting and hook setting practice. My main use for this rod will be when hiking in CO with my wife to alpine lakes and streams. I will set the hook on some Brookies in the summer months and I can't wait for then. I encourage anyone that is thinking of this rod to not hesitate. You will enjoy going after the small fish as much as the big ones.
Roger
shotgunfly likes this.