The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 12:12 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default 10 pieces of advice

With all the new people joining the forum & asking questions I was wondering ... What 10 pieces of advice would you give to someone just starting out in Fly Fishing.
My 10 Would be:
1: Practice casting before you hit the water.
2: Buy Quality equipment , It usually will last longer
3: Before you buy every fly in the store ask around. With a little planning you can get by with about 5 or 6 patterns in various sizes a day.
4: Learn Stream etiquette.
5: Always use a wading staff
6: Get & use a good pair of polorized sunglasses.
7: Learn how to Handle the fish you're after so you can release them quickly.
8: Use the buddy system when wading in fast or deep water.
9: Before you enter a stream take a minute or two to look around & see if anything is hatching or flying around over the water & read the water to see where the best place to enter the stream quietly is...
10: Remember to Have fun & look around & enjoy the day. It should not be a numbers game & don't expect to catch every fish you see.....

Good Luck & Wade Safe
Fishn50
Old 12-29-2007, 02:27 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 10 pieces of advice

1 - Spend a little more than you'd like on equipment. If you have to reach for it, you'll take better care of it.
2 - Bring a net
3 - Flatten out the barbs on your hooks or ask for hooks without barbs
4 - If you go to a fly shop and ask questions, be sure to buy something for their time.
5 - Learn some manners before sloshing through the river.
6 - Do not throw to fish while they are on their beds
7 - Join a local fly club
8 - Always make sure you have your gear before you leave the driveway
9 - Pack out all your trash and then some
10 - Know how to unhook and release a fish

Randy
Old 12-30-2007, 11:04 AM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

1. If it is your first time, borrow the equipment rather than buy. I have friends that have some very nice rods collecting dust in their garages because they didn't have the patience for the sport.
2. When all else fails, nymph or streamer it.
3. The best fishing isn't necessarily in the summer. Hit the water during the winter months also.
4. Learn how to release and to release quickly. (Might be hypocritical by looks of my avatar, but that is a story for another time.)
5. Know your water temperatures in the summer! Stick with the tail waters in the morning and late afternoon if river temperatures are getting to high.
6. Know your rules and restrictions! From fishing restrictions to stream access laws.
7. Know your fishing etiquette.
8. Ask questions! In my neck of the woods, most of our local fisherman are more than willing to provide advice to someone who is new to the sport, especially on the river.
9. Have patience and do not give up!
10. Most important advice I can give. Be friendly! Be friendly to the local landowners, be friendly to the other fisherman, and be friendly to your local fly shops. This can pay off big time in better river access, fly and equipment advice and some fantastic tips and techniques for your local waterways!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

1. Join the NAFFF.
2. Join a FFF or Trout Unlimited club.
3. Buy the most expensive equipment that you can afford.
4. Buy a DVD on fly casting and practice.
5. Take casting lessons.
6. Hire a guide as soon as you can cast your fly 30'. A good guide is a treasure trove of information. Nothing will help you more than catching some fish and being with a good guide.
7. Make friends with any fly shop that is located where you fish. Buy something each visit even if it is only a fly or two.
8. Learn to tye flies.
9. Subscribe to one or two fly fishing magazines.
10. Buy books, books books.

Frank
Old 12-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

All good bits on info, not sure I could come up with even 5 that were not mentioned above, so I will add a couple that came to mind.

1. Learn something new every time you go out.
2. Don't become so locked into 1 technique that you forget about the rest, strive to become a well rounded flyfisherman.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

All lists above are good, but lacked a very important tip:

1- Make sure your hook is sharp.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
All good bits on info, not sure I could come up with even 5 that were not mentioned above, so I will add a couple that came to mind.

1. Learn something new every time you go out.
2. Don't become so locked into 1 technique that you forget about the rest, strive to become a well rounded flyfisherman.
Ok thought of a few more.

3.Don't bite fishing line, your Dentist will be unhappy, and it can leave a ragged end on your line.
4.Always wear eye protection, flyin hooks can and will find you.
5.Don't think for a minute that the automatic window is gonna stop when the tip of the rod is in the way.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

There is some good advice in the above posts, I can add:

1) Dont buy a rod that you havent tried before you leave the store.

2) Fish, one day, with the tackle you are leaving the country with.

A friend and i went to Belieze and had bad brand new flourocarbon tippet and his reel seat and reel dropped off his rod while casting to some tarpon.
There is no pro shop in san pedro, belieze.