The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   5 wt. reel recommendation (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/2930-5-wt-reel-recommendation.html)

HELLFIGHTER5308 12-29-2007 07:11 AM

5 wt. reel recommendation

I recently recived a 9 foot, 5/6 weight Pflueger Trion rod as a gift. Can anyone recommend a good reel for it. Also does anyone know anything about this rod? Thanks.

rebelfly 12-29-2007 07:58 AM

Re: 5 wt. reel recommendation

Ross reels are always a sage choice. I prefer the Lamson Hard Alox 2 since I fish saltwater as well

HELLFIGHTER5308 12-29-2007 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reply...the rod appears to have a wood reel seat at first glance...it is actually metal. I will probably use the setup in salt or brackish water.

jnadler139 01-06-2008 10:17 PM

hi,
i have 2 reels to recommend. Ross reels makes a nice 5-6 wt reel with the following names, the flycast, flystart and flywater for about $45-65. i got mine
from www.riverbum.com-No tax and free shipping. take a look.
The other reel is an Okuma SLV 5-6, lge arbor and great drag. it holds 150 yds of 20 lb braided dacron bacikng=to 6 lb mono for about $50and $12 fo backing
at Amazon.. Ive had good results with both reels.
Good luck !
jn

doc 01-06-2008 10:56 PM

I have to agree on the Ross reels. Fully machined aluminum, Delrin polymer with impregnated Teflon that is durable, heat resistant, self lubricating and maintenance free. Plus their customer service is awesome. As far as the Okuma SLV, I'm not crazy about these reels. I don't like the fact that they are Alumilite diecast. And once you open them up, you'll see there is a lot of places to hide dirt and/or salt (if using this reel for salt water fishing). I used to manage a tackle a shop and one of my employees dropped one of these reels from about four feet on a carpeted floor. The reel was warped badly and had to be replaced. A buddy of mine bought this reel when they first came out and he's not overly happy with it either. Okuma does make some other good reels though.

Cheers,
Doc

jimw 01-07-2008 05:06 AM

I have an Ross CLA on a 9wt and it is very nice reel very smooth drag with enough range for big fish very durable and reliable product

markwaldin 01-07-2008 04:17 PM

I just wanted to clarfiy one thing for you. The ROSS reels are cast aluminum, not machined. I also own a ross reel for my 5wt rod and it performs quite nicely. The fact that it is cast and not machined means it will not be as strong as a machined reel. I don't see that as a problem on a 5 or 6 weight. On the other hand if you were going 7wt or up I would probably suggest a machined reel. You will jump up into the $200 range or higher to do that however.

Mark Waldin
Flycatcher Inc
Custom Fly Rod

FlyFisher77 01-07-2008 06:03 PM

I got a new rod for christmas and I researched and tried every decent reel I could get my hands on. I finally settled on a Ross Evolution because of the weight, looks, and the raving reviews of the Ross brand reels.

doc 01-07-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markwaldin (Post 18175)
I just wanted to clarfiy one thing for you. The ROSS reels are cast aluminum, not machined. I also own a ross reel for my 5wt rod and it performs quite nicely. The fact that it is cast and not machined means it will not be as strong as a machined reel.

Mark Waldin
Flycatcher Inc
Custom Fly Rod

Mark, the Cimarron, CLA, Rythm, Evolution, Momentum and Flow reels are all fully machined. Their new low end line of Ross Worldwide reels is cast aluminum. I haven't tried any of these reels as of yet so I can't comment on how good a reel they are. You are right about the machined reels being stronger though.

Cheers,
Doc

doc 01-07-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyFisher77 (Post 18185)
I got a new rod for christmas and I researched and tried every decent reel I could get my hands on. I finally settled on a Ross Evolution because of the weight, looks, and the raving reviews of the Ross brand reels.

Great choice on that reel, it's my personal favorite. I love the feel when reeling in :frogdance and it's super light.

Cheers,
Doc