The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 08:16 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Questions about Taylor Res in CO

Okay, here's the deal: heading to Taylor Resevoir next month for about a week to do some fishing. I haven't been there in over 25 years, so i could use some pointers.

I think we are going to fish the tailwater more than the lake, so a few ideas on flies and rigs would be helpful. I assume I'll have to break out the indicator rig, but is there something else i could try?

Also, we plan on trying to hit some other water in the vicinity. Could someone tell me what other rivers/streams might be fishing good around the second week of next month? And again, what rigs/flies might produce?

Finally, is there any free camping in the area? A town nearby for groceries?

Thanks.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Questions about Taylor Res in CO

I probably should have said this before, but I'm not asking for your super secret spots, just the names of some of the fishable waters near Taylor. And I'm not asking for your secret go-to flies, just should I be fishing terrestrials vs. nymphs, etc. Some decent camping areas near some of those waters would be nice as well, so I don't spend half a day driving around looking for a spot.

If you don't feel comfortable posting this info here, please Pm me. Or maybe a trade of info? If you ever come to AZ, I'll give you as much info as I have on whatever waters I can.

Thanks.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 08-07-2012, 09:42 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

I fished that area only once (last August, week prior to Labor Day), so I am no expert by any stretch, but I'll share what I learned.

1) You've got three (3) major rivers; Taylor River, East River, and Gunnison River to choose from... but there are other (smaller) streams with wild fish as well. Access can be a bit tricky on all... which brings me to #2.

2) Check in at the Orvis shop in Almont (right where the three rivers come together)... spend some money, and look for an older gent named Dennis. The dude is an expert on the Taylor River and has a special midge pattern (D's Midge). Dennis is a top notch guy, and ties flies for Charlie Craven's shop near Denver, CO. Seriously, if you're a fly tyer make sure you look this guy up!

3) If you're lucky, the Kokanee Salmon will be up into the Gunnison and East Rivers. If they are, fish a Mickey Finn streamer in the deep holes and HANG ON!

4) The area below Taylor Dam is home to some truly gigantic Rainbow Trout. The Mysis Shrimp that wash through the gates are a major part of their diet... make sure you have proper patterns.

5) The fish below Taylor Dam also see massive amounts of pressure. As a result they are very conditioned to "typical" patterns and approaches... leave the beadhead's in your fly box.

6) Make sure you fish right up until dark. These rivers run clear and bright with anglers, mink, and osprey all well represented. I did the most damage during "happy hour" fishing the banks with soft hackles down and across. Runs that were devoid of fish all day come alive when the shadows get long.

7) Great steak house right on main street in downtown Gunnison... I don't recall the name, but ask the guys at the fly shop in Almont.

That's all I got. Our trip planned for this year fell apart... so I'll have to live vicariously through you.

TIGHT LINES!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
I fished that area only once (last August, week prior to Labor Day), so I am no expert by any stretch, but I'll share what I learned.

1) You've got three (3) major rivers; Taylor River, East River, and Gunnison River to choose from... but there are other (smaller) streams with wild fish as well. Access can be a bit tricky on all... which brings me to #2.

2) Check in at the Orvis shop in Almont (right where the three rivers come together)... spend some money, and look for an older gent named Dennis. The dude is an expert on the Taylor River and has a special midge pattern (D's Midge). Dennis is a top notch guy, and ties flies for Charlie Craven's shop near Denver, CO. Seriously, if you're a fly tyer make sure you look this guy up!

3) If you're lucky, the Kokanee Salmon will be up into the Gunnison and East Rivers. If they are, fish a Mickey Finn streamer in the deep holes and HANG ON!

4) The area below Taylor Dam is home to some truly gigantic Rainbow Trout. The Mysis Shrimp that wash through the gates are a major part of their diet... make sure you have proper patterns.

5) The fish below Taylor Dam also see massive amounts of pressure. As a result they are very conditioned to "typical" patterns and approaches... leave the beadhead's in your fly box.

6) Make sure you fish right up until dark. These rivers run clear and bright with anglers, mink, and osprey all well represented. I did the most damage during "happy hour" fishing the banks with soft hackles down and across. Runs that were devoid of fish all day come alive when the shadows get long.

7) Great steak house right on main street in downtown Gunnison... I don't recall the name, but ask the guys at the fly shop in Almont.

That's all I got. Our trip planned for this year fell apart... so I'll have to live vicariously through you.

TIGHT LINES!
Thanbk yo9u. I was beginning to think I had written one of those invisible posts again. thanks again for the info, I'll be sure to let you know how the trip went.

Peace.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 PM

coachbob is on a distinguished road

I had a home in Gunnison for several years. The Taylor is my favorite waterway. The hog trough just below the dam is the home to many HUGE resident trout that only want tiny nymphs on 7x or lighter. I've had monsters on but could never get them to the net. Good luck there. I would go to DragonFly Anglers in Crested Butte for the best advice.

Farther down you will find public waters and my favorite is the Lodgepole Campgrounds. The trick here is to be able to wade deep water. Directly across from the campground right by the parking lot is a quiet run that gets to be 4+ deep in the middle. The best way to tell you where is to explain you are 30 feet above the falls. You'll understand when you see it. Why do you want to go there? Because fish stack up on the opposite shore and NOONE fishes for them. With ANY hatch they will hit dries and hit emergers almost anytime. Slighly upstream from the campground are some rocks in the stream that shield decent rainbows but they get worked over pretty well.

The problem with Lodgepole is that it is a popular campground and there are likely to be many folks around with spinning gear. Even so, it's worth a try.