The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough
Talking First use, and these boots are Awesome!

Perhaps not these boots specifically, but wading boots in general. i just got a pair of Simms last week with the Aluminum cleats. I took them out fishing for the first time this Saturday. If anyone is still on the fence with a boot purchase, I say just do it.

On the river I have been fishing there is a small island. With the water level being lower than usual this year, the water to the left of the island is barely moving so it builds up a lot of slick. When I am finished for the day and making my way back to the car I have to pass over this body of water, or continue on up and cross over the rough water. Just above the fork it is fast moving and shallow.

Until this weekend all I had was my tennis shoes. This made the crossing rather difficult since it was like walking on axle grease. Literally 10 minutes to cross this 20-25 feet of water. Weeeeell- not any more!

Saturday morning I put the cleats on the new boots and headed for the water. I will say at the start that i was not doing any hopping jumping or running. I couldn't get these suckers to slip for the life of me. I walked through cautiously the first time, but by the end of the trip I was hitting the really slick stuff at dry sidewalk speed. It is true that I am real easily amused at times, so as I was leaving I walked back and forth in the slimy section a few times trying to find a rock shape that would reduce traction. I couldn't find anything to slip on!

I will also admit that I weigh 250 lbs at the moment so that much weight concentrated on those 7 cleats may be a little advantageous, but i doubt it matters too much .

So in summary, the price tag is no little thing. But after the first use I am about as happy as the proverbial pig in poop!

Last edited by Hardyreels; 08-06-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added the word poop
Old 08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: First use, and these boots are Awesome!

Always good to hear a good result report, are you wearing the Rivershed boot? I have a pair and love em.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM

for some reason I was thinking that they were the Rivershed, but they are the Freestone. I think they are the old model since they don't have the black covering over the toe. They didn't have my size with a toe covering. I'm not too hard on gear, so that hopefully won't make any difference (the toe covering that is).
Old 08-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

After using a pair of Korkers that were nothing less than painful (not to mention fell apart) the boots I have now are a dream to have on the feet; all day comfort. Nothing beats happy feet

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-08-2012, 09:49 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Nothing beats happy feet
Amen brother.

I have the Riversheds with the carbide grip studs and I love 'em. Very nice. My next endeavor will some waders with a more-comfortable foot section. My LL Beans are not very "ergo" to my feet. Any suggestions? I hear the Patagonias are nice.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:20 AM

Everything Patagonia makes is nice, unfortunately they know it $$. I don't own any waders just yet myself. I have to save my pennies so I can get a pair before the snow arrives. We have a Bass Pro and a smal fly shop in town, the small shop carries mainly Simms waders. I think I'll have to go for those since I would rather give my pennies to the local shop. I have nothing against Bass Pro, but I always try to boost the little guy when it comes to shopping if I can afford it.
kibby likes this.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on a happy experience with your new purchase and thanks for the report. I don't have the Freestones but have looked at them several times. They look to be a very well made boot, many swear by them and say they are bulletproof. Having a good set of boots that provides stability, traction and confidence is worth its weight in gold IMHO. Good call on going the local shop route. Establishing a relationship with a good local fly shop is essential, assuming of course that you have a local shop.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 AM

adidas4275 is on a distinguished road

I used a pair of Simms freestone's last week in Alaska at a lodge I was staying at and they killed the ball of my ankle. And since they were just rubber bottoms, no cleats and since felt is all but gone... they were crazy slippery. Almost died 3 times on rocks in the water.

The Al cleats make a big difference?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

Any type of cleat makes a huge difference, in my opinion.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 AM

By the way you describe it without cleats, I'd say it makes a world of difference. Some of the rocks in my river are slicker than the fish. They build up a lot of algie and slime. I can't put any pressure downwards on them in just tennis shoes without slipping. When using tennis shoes I have to place the foot between 2 rocks and wedge the foot there before taking the step. Very uncomfortable.

With the cleats I was tentative at first, but by the end of the first trip I was walking the same as if I were on a dry sidewalk. Obvioiusly I wasn't walking without looking, but as long as i wasn't trying to walk on the side of a protruding rock, I didn't have to worry about traction.

As for the pain, I wear a pair of summer neoprene booties and a pair of wool hiking socks. It felt like walking on a cloud. I'm over weight and have plantar fasciitis in my left heel. I didn't feel it at all the whole trip.