The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 AM

dennis_t is on a distinguished road
Default Buying on the Internet

I'm curious how everyone feels about companies that advertise equipment and tackle on the internet, and don't even have the stuff in stock. Nothing ticks me off more then ordering something from a company, they take my money, and then make me wait a week before they ship it. I ordered a couple things from a fly shop on Sun., they sent me an email on Mon. to tell me my order wouldn't be shipped for a week. I canceled it. So how do you guys handle this type of company?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:09 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying on the Internet

Take a mental note and don't shop there again.

I personally can't stand that form of deceptive advertising. Sears did that to me one time on a TV. I *****ed until they gave me a better TV at the same price as the advertised lesser one.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 AM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

I recently had an issue with an online fly shop as well, Ordered a bunch of flies 50-60 and 8 of those were supposed to be plain black buggers size 10, well they were out of stock but instead of refunding me the price of those or calling me for a sub. or something they just changed them out for a chartruse flash bugger and said "out of stock here's the replacement" I sent them all back and opened a disbute on Pay pal with this in the message "In a Normal world, its retarded for you to give me something different than what we agreed on" Let's see if I get my money back.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

A good reason to try to buy locally. Plenty of internet retailers offer lower prices because they have very little overhead- no inventory, maybe no store.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:03 AM

fatdaddy is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it is very easy to make a 'legit' website. A couple hundred bucks can get you looking nice. That is why I like to get it in person, also you can find better 'bargin bin' deals in the store too. If it is a locally owned shop then price negotiation is also an option. I get you though, sometimes it is just too good to pass up.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

One of the realities is that most internet stores are small brick and mortar stores. A lot of the times, they won't have the product and will have it drop shipped directly from the manufacturer. They may wait a day or two to get the product from their suppliers. That delay will be called "processing time."

Another common issue is that website inventories almost never match the shop's physical inventories. This is mostly due for the website and the shop not having an integrated point of sales (POS) system. Real time inventories are non-existent.

Moral of the story. If you must order over the internet, buy from well established internet stores. If you can, visit your local fly shop.

Dennis

Edit: I have a well stocked local fly shop ten minutes from my house, so I don't have to do any internet shopping.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:18 AM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

Yeah, for me it all depends on what I am buying(not just talking fishing gear). Sometimes, it has 100% markup at the brick and mortar. And sometimes you pay the same amount if not more after shipping plus you have to wait a couple weeks. My favorite is when you get the email saying: "That product is no longer in production so we won't send it to you, but we have billed the rest of your order and it is on its way. So if you want to cancel, send it back on your dime and pay a restocking fee. "

I try to go local most of the time these days. One thing I just recently noticed about buying flies, is that I found a local tier who ties beautiful flies specific to my river for the same price as the shops. I am confident that my flies will work on my stream, so I am actually saving money by buying less flies. And I am never going one size up because they were all sold out of the proper size.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

I had a really difficult time finding the new Patagonia Sling Pack (13th page of a google search). Not only was Patagonia sold out but most stores across the nation. Alot shops said that they carried it but a phone call proved that they were sold out. If i would have ordered it then, i would have got it when patagonia stores get the pack in October!

I found calling them to make sure that they physically have it in the inventory seems to work. Most shops will ship free if it is over a certain amount. A quick google search of the shop for customers reviews never hurts either.

Thonyb's online buying must:
Must have physical address listed on site.
Must be able to complain to a real person on phone (no emails)
Old 08-07-2012, 12:53 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I buy a lot online, especially from stores and ebay sellers with free shipping. I have rarely ever had any problem. I like going to stores and have a good number in the Denver area, but do find they don't always have what I'm looking for in stock, i.e. black hopper legs in stock but not brown. Also, between work, baby, and daily life it can be surprisingly hard to get out to stores. So if I have a chance and need something I hit a store, but often just collect stuff in 'shopping carts' online and periodically buy it, with very rarely any issues.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

So much for modern convenience. Its either I spend more on gas than the actual cost of what I need or I have to put up with online buys. Its conveniently inconvenient.