The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 PM

cowiner is on a distinguished road
Default Which Boat

I am contemplating purchasing a boat to fish out of. We just got back from camping on the grand mesa and fishing a few lakes. I saw a few people fishing from pontoons which looked useful but was wondering if there is a better option if my wife ever wants to join me. I would love something that is also useful on the river. I was looking at the power drifter on outcast websit but not sure it could be used for multiple people. Just looking for options and opinions. Thanks
Old 08-07-2012, 10:54 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Which Boat

Look into prams. Small, stable, cartop-able and you can fish two people finest kind. Some are rated up to Class III so the river is definitely do-able.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:05 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I tried one of these out. Now I want to sell my kayak and get one. The Frontier 12 , to me, is the ultimate fishing craft for one or two people.

NuCanoe - The Ideal Watercraft for Fishing, Hunting, Paddling, Rowing, & More
Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I tried one of these out. Now I want to sell my kayak and get one. The Frontier 12 , to me, is the ultimate fishing craft for one or two people.

NuCanoe - The Ideal Watercraft for Fishing, Hunting, Paddling, Rowing, & More
That's the first I've seen of that one, and it looks even more appealing than the first one. Their original boats have a more v-shaped bottom that increases their draft and makes them tippy when going over drop-offs. That's not the case on that Frontier boat.

Its also pretty light for its size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:34 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

IMO there is nothing better than fishing out of a drift boat.
They don't call it the Cadillac of the river for nothing.
Also there is no reason you can't hook up a motor and make it lake worthy!

When you say boat it makes me think of a wide range of things. Never fished out of the power drifter but from what I have seen they look pretty sweet.
Weighing out the differences of boats, for me it would just depend on the water is was planning on floating but yet no one boat has fulfilled every niche, at least not yet.
Good luck on your search!
Peace,
Watson
Old 08-08-2012, 12:45 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Some of the fellas around here fish out of Gheenues on the small to medium rivers. Small outboards are the name of the game. These boats are also used in FL on intercoastal waters. Be sure and give them a look. Some are car topable and all are light trailerable and shallow water boats.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I've been looking at Towee Boats for a while. I like the versatility and they aren't expensive. Goggle Boats and check out their blog. Sf
Old 08-08-2012, 03:16 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Things I look for in a personal fishing boat are:
1) The ability to fish far more than correct position with an oar or a paddle.
2) The ability to carry a bit of a load without the need to lash everything down for fear of capsize.
3) Stability.
4) The ability to stand up to fish good looking water without climbing in and out of the boat (graceful I ain't!)
5) The ability to use a small trolling motor at times.
6) Able to take on Class IV or V waters (and hope I'll never see them)
and so I chose a personal pontoon. I've been through three different 'toons and will no doubt get another when hauling 65# becomes too big of an issue for me.
You can get some models cheap enough that both you and your spouse can have your own.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 PM

cowiner is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input so far. I am a bit of a woodworker and have contemplated building a drift boat. My father-in-law built a canoe out of cedar and it is beautiful. I like the idea of the pontoons because we would probably use it for a couple of multi-day trips. My wife is not much for the oars on the river so personal pontoons may not be our best option.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Check this out The Happy Trout Chronicles: Z's Drifter Pram I came across this trying to find my own plans on how to lay out the interior.