The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road
Default Winter Project: Driftboat

I'm thinking of making a driftboat of my own. I've been exploring a few different options, and I was wondering if anyone here has built their own, and what they could offer for advice. I have the skills and the tools, and the space to do it, so why shouldn't I? Besides, driftboats don't exactly grow on trees here in the East, right? Building my own would be a nice way to get on the water in the big rivers around this region.

Can anyone recommend a good set of plans? Right now, I am leaning towards the Don Hill plans.

I'd like to apologize in advance if this thread belongs in a different subforum, but I didnt see any boat-specific forums listed.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:30 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winter Project: Driftboat

Here is a blog post about a local high school sutdent who built his own drift boat in shop class.
New Boat Smell | DIY Boat Buliding | The Pactola | | the Headhunterthe Headhunter

Here is where he got his plans
Spira International Inc - Wood Boats You Can Build

I love my drift boat, its been one of my best fly fishing investments I think. Im sure you would love a hand made drift boat you built even more.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Well after much consideration, I ordered the Don Hill plans to build the 16' standard. I'll post a build thread in here to track the progress if there's any interest.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm absolutely interested Kibby. If I had a garage, I'd be trying to do this myself, even if we don't have much of the right water for such a craft nearby... Just another excuse to head on over to the Delaware!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 AM

Well I just unpacked the plans and DVD. Looks like I got my money's-worth so far. I watched a little of the DVD, and its obvious it was originally shot with a magnetic tape camcorder, so a little wiggly and tracking was off, lol, but its definitely watchable, and looks like it takes the builder through the proper steps.