The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 03:09 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about
Default Repair Dilemma...

So here's the situation...

I've got an older 4 piece St. Croix Premier 5 wt 9 footer that is broken.

The two middle sections got stuck, and after trying every technique in the book to unstick them, I ended up splintering one section of the rod from twisting on it.

No big deal, all my fault, but here's the dilemma...

If I send it back to St. Croix, they will charge $50 plus $10 shipping. They will either replace it with a Rio Santo or repair it. The guy on the phone said they would most likely replace it.

I don't really need the rod as it was a loaner rod and I've now got quite a few more "loaner" rods , but what should I do with it?

1. Throw it away?
2. Send it in for repairs knowing it will be replaced with a rod worth only $120 that I could probably sell for $50.
3. Donate it to someone...a new fisherman, or someone down on their luck that needs a rod so they can send it in and get a replacement?

Thoughts???
Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Repair Dilemma...

honestly if you dont need the extra rod, giving the broken one to someone wont do any good since warranty card was probably submitted by your name.
if you are feeling that generous, you can always send it in for repair/replacement at $50 cost and then sell new rod to someone for that $50
but after shipping and all i guess you're really getting $120 rod for $60, not bad but not great either simply because this would be back up rod for most as well and im sure we have better use for those $60 then just sitting in the closet.

if you decide to get it fixed /replaced, let me know, i just started fishing 2 month ago and my only rod is 9' 5WT but im already looking for back up just in case and maybe i'd be willing to buy it from you, or i also have a friend who wants to start fly fishing and might be interested.
while you wont gain any $ you would definitely help someone else out
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a pack rat, but I have a whole box of busted rods that I use for parts.
It comes in handy, at least for me
Old 08-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I would get the new rod with a suggestion. Explain the situation and see if they will replace it with a Rio Santo in a weight and length you can use.

My question though is whether you tried spraying the stuck rod joint with the fluid from canned air to freeze the joint? Turn the can upside down to spray the liquid on the ferrule. This usually breaks the vapor lock.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
honestly if you dont need the extra rod, giving the broken one to someone wont do any good since warranty card was probably submitted by your name.
St. Croix will repair or replace a rod out of warranty for $50 and $10 shipping. Not too shabby when most companies won't even touch a rod without the original owner's registration.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse304 View Post
St. Croix will repair or replace a rod out of warranty for $50 and $10 shipping. Not too shabby when most companies won't even touch a rod without the original owner's registration.
o i didnt know that
well in that case, if you decide you dont want to do anything with your broken rod, ill take is of your hands and ill pay for shipping and then ill do the exchange with Croix to have a back up rod
Old 08-08-2012, 05:53 PM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

You could always get it repaired then sell it to me for the cost and shipping?